Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Trivial and Mundane


Before


After

Today’s Pics: Yesterday’s major accomplishment: I finally got around to defrosting my fridge and it needed it... badly. It needed defrosting two or three months ago, actually, but procrastination is my way of life. This particular task takes about an hour of mind-numbingly boring work, mostly consisting of holding a hair dryer running on “high” about two inches from the accumulated ice and watching it melt and fall into the catch tray below the cooling fins (you can see the residual ice in the "after" pic). What fun. And then there’s the general mop-up following the actual defrosting. More fun, even.


There are only a handful of people in these United States who still have to defrost their refrigerators manually… and I’m one of ‘em. Someday I’ll graduate into the Middle Class and get a frost-free fridge like Mom had back in the day. And a washer and dryer of my very own, too. (My tongue is firmly planted in my cheek as I write…)

7 comments:

  1. My up-right freezer has to be thawed everyonce in a while do to people leaving it slightly open - pet peeve.

    Just today, I opened the fridge and thought, "Wow, I really need to clean out the gunk that has fallen to the bottom." Then I shut the door and had better thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all do such boring tasks. I cleaned the fridge out a couple weeks ago real good. Didn't have to defrost, but it was boring just the same. Today I cleaned all the ceiling fans. whoohoo. I also ran the dishwasher (which these days IS a chore, since my kitchen pipes are completely clogged down with mineral, and I can't get a plumber out here to replace them it seems. So it involves disconnecting the drain hose and putting it in a trash can, then hauling all the water out to the porch for dumping).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barracks inspections, PCS moves - I've defrosted a few mini-fridges in my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...what happened to the bottle of bubbly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou sez: Then I shut the door and had better thoughts.

    My modus operandi... EXACTLY.

    Jenny: Wow... that's a lot of work to run the dishwasher! I've noticed my water drains slowly now, as well. I'm sure six years of living with the gawd-awful mineral content we have is the culprit. I shudder to think of replacing my water lines...

    Andy: I forgot about mini-fridges... and most of those do need manual defrosting.

    Michelle: It's still there, it's just hiding behind the Dr. Pepper box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck, when the ancient fridge (1970s vintage?) in our apartment gave up the ghost, we replaced it with the only model we could find that would fit into the space available without requiring light remodeling - a self-defrosting Sears "apartment fridge" (about 10 cubic feet, I think.)

    I *hated* defrosting the old fridge. In the summertime it was a constant battle to keep it cold enough to preserve food *and* keep the ice from forming on the coils.

    I do not miss that chore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barry: I live in fear of the day when my fridge fails, and being a mechanical device it WILL fail... eventually. RV fridges are "specialized" devices and as such are expensive as all get-out. I won't have many options when it comes time to replace the damned thing. I can only hope it lasts for another ten years or so...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.