Monday, October 06, 2008

Half A(ssed) Post

It's very late in the day, and to quote someone (I dunno exactly who): I got nuthin'. I DID make an effort last evening to begin today's post, and what follows is that half-assed attempt.


{Golem voice} But we must check the box, mustn't we, Precious? {/Golem voice}


―:
:―

I was watching a re-run of The Discovery Channel’s remarkable “Planet Earth” series last evening… and although Planet Earth is in re-runs, one of last night’s installments was new to me… the one on caves. Part and parcel of that segment was about ten minutes devoted to Lechuguilla Cave in Carlsbad Caverns National Park, right here in New Mexico. And a most amazing place this is! The PBS Nova page has an article on Lechuguilla , along with a companion piece featuring 12 amazing photographs of the cave complex and their crystal formations (here); you see one such photo from that set on the left. I only wish the photos were available in a larger format, as these small pictures just don’t do the subject justice. But don’t let that nit-pick discourage you from a taking a look, Gentle Reader. It’s well worth the minute or three it will take you to browse through the pics and read the captions.


―:
:―



Well… the foregoing is a perfect lead-in (albeit in a most left-handed manner) to Today’s Pic… which features SN3 and Grandson Sean standing next to a HUGE stalagmite in… guess where?… Carlsbad Caverns. It’s just fortuitous coincidence that I have a pic (a great number of them, actually) that’s associated with something I wanted to post about. It doesn’t happen all that often, ya know! But, Hey! It doesn’t take much of an excuse to get me to post pics of the kids (a couple of whom are no longer “kids,” by ANY stretch of the imagination) and the grand-kids, now does it?


July, 2004.

9 comments:

  1. I think I was 12 when I visited Carlsbad Caverns. The memory is vague. Someday, I would like to revisit the Caverns.

    When Toby was in high school in Hobbs, they played Carlsbad in football. Toby said the coaches made them get down on the floor of the bus while in Carlsbad because the Carlsbad fans would "rock the bus." What can you expect from a bunch of cave dwellers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And son and granson look as if they are enjoying themselves - great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a fantastic cave system in Bermuda. It's not huge and much of it is underwater.

    Back in 1994 The Oracle and I stayed at a resort that had a private entrance to one of the caves. At specific times of the day - coinciding with high tide - you could go down into the cave to swim.

    We tried it and it was - creepy. I'm glad I did it so I can say I did. It was like a cathedral - just beautiful and quiet and cold.

    But I don't think I could do it again. Caves creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the caves many years ago. My most distinct memory was that the food was terrible and it smelled funny in there. I also remember them saying not to touch the stalactites or stalagmites and one stalagmite that they let you touch and how it was worn down.

    Did you watch the Planet Earth segment where they scuba dived in caves like Carlsbad. In the Yucatan. That looked like so much fun! I want to do that so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I SO want to go to carlsbad caverns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember going spelunking with my grandfather when I was a kid. Loads of fun. There's still precious little I'd rather do than get down on my hands and knees and explore interesting holes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou sez: What can you expect from a bunch of cave dwellers!

    "So easy a caveman could do it!" ;-)

    As for Bobby (SN3) and Sean having fun... Sean most definitely was, but Bobby was having one of those "moments" that seven year olds have from time to time ("I'm bored. Can we go now?"). His "moment" lasted the whole time we were down in the caverns and I wanted to brain him by the time we left. But I didn't.

    Kris sez: Back in 1994 The Oracle and I stayed at a resort that had a private entrance to one of the caves. At specific times of the day - coinciding with high tide - you could go down into the cave to swim.

    VERY cool! I'm glad ya did that... just for the experience.

    Ash sez: Did you watch the Planet Earth segment where they scuba dived in caves like Carlsbad. In the Yucatan. That looked like so much fun! I want to do that so badly!

    That's the episode! And you're a braver person than I, Ash. While I'm sure tourists wouldn't do the same sort of things as the cave explorers... if tourists can even do this at ALL... it looked a lil too dangerous for me. Especially the bit about trailing a string behind you so you could find your way out. I kept thinking "what if the string breaks?" Not a fun way to die...

    Phlegmmy: Carlsbad IS beautiful... and relatively close to Big D, too!

    Jim sez: I remember going spelunking with my grandfather when I was a kid. Loads of fun. There's still precious little I'd rather do than get down on my hands and knees and explore interesting holes.

    LOL on your last! I'll just leave that one be... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carlsbad Caverns is really cool! But I regretted walking the whole way down and all the paths within. I had to be in a wedding the following day in high heels and my calves were SORE!!! LOL!

    I really need to take the kids there someday...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, one of these days, I'llmake it out that way, again.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.