Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Miserable Excuse for Light Posting and a "Must-Read"

More Adventures In Modern Dentistry today, with a morning appointment… coz that’s when The Good Doctor prefers to do these sorts of things… minor oral surgery, aka the laying in of more artificial bone to better facilitate the coming implants… as opposed to routine stuff like fillings and such. Dr. Thompson did cut me a sprout when he saw my baleful look as he proposed an 0800 appointment, and he graciously slipped the time to 0900 as a result. Which, as you know Gentle Reader, is what passes for The Dead of Night more often than not here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington. Dr. Thompson knows, too, as he let slip the fact that he’s an occasional reader of EIP. I was suitably flattered, but that emotion was surpassed by my sheer gratitude at not being forced to take to the streets before I’m fully caffeinated, and at something that closely resembles an Ungodly Hour. The general public should be grateful, too. Safety considerations, and all, dontcha know.


The foregoing is a left-handed way of informing you that posting will be light today. I’m typing this lil blurb out just before going to bed, as a matter of fact, and will post at midnite, or shortly thereafter. I would schedule the post, but Frickin’Blogger… and that’s ALL one word… is still hosing my format to the nth goddamned degree. It takes me at least six separate editing passes after I’ve posted to get about half of the formatting correct (see the post immediately below: I gave up after the sixth editing pass, which you could verify, if you so choose, simply by looking at my Site Meter… the 9:33:08 pm entry, specifically. That’s me.). This is NOT a good thing. I’m seriously considering migrating EIP to a more format-friendly platform. Really. I am. It both amazes and mystifies me that Frickin’Blogger can’t seem to get a simple thing like fonts and spacing correct. And it pisses me right the Hell off, too. Didja notice?


―::


Lileks is GOOD today. No, check that: he’s GREAT. Here are a few excerpts to encourage you to go read the whole thing, as is my wont.

Oh, we're screedy today. It's a Canadian columnist vs. Sarah Palin; I could not resist.


[…]


I’m in a generous mood.


Or was, until I read this piece by a Canadian writer; it sums up with such delightful perfection what so many believe. So. Let’s have a look.


[…]


It's possible that Republican men, sexual inadequates that they are, really believe that women will vote for a woman just because she's a woman.


Consider the joy that would reign if someone wrote that “Democrats, racial guilt-mongers that they are, really believe that African-Americans will vote for an African-American just because he’s an African-American.” Of course Republican men don’t believe that women will vote for her just because she’s a woman. It’s surely a factor, but there’s the possibility that they will vote for her because she is not a woman like Heather Mallick.


You have to love the “Sexual inadequates that they are” line as well; if there’s one thing that’s amused me in the last two weeks, it’s the screechy distaste of Ms. Palin coming from men who embodied the Modern Alda Paradigm of masculinity, which is to say they are nervous around cars, think guns are icky, had their own Snugli, have wives in corporate jobs who make more money than they do, and still get dissed behind their backs because they can’t figure out how to make the bed. The Lost Boys, if you will. Now, some women can’t stand Sarah Palin for their own reasons, personal or ideological; same with men. Some men, however, are made deeply uneasy by her, because she’s the one who ignored the sensitive poet-guys in high school for the jocks, and didn’t seem to grasp the essential high-school truth that it’s cool to be a loser. But that’s rank psychoanalysis, and we won’t stoop to that.


[…]


They're unfamiliar with our true natures. Do they think vaginas call out to each other in the jungle night? I mean, I know men have their secret meetings at which they pledge to do manly things, like being irresponsible with their semen and postponing household repairs with glue and used matches. Guys will be guys, obviously.


It’s funny, because it’s true! Bronze that paragraph; if nothing else, it’s the death of PC, and license for guys to say anything. At least she’s honest about the idea of female solidarity – it matters only if the ideological stars have aligned – no, if the ideological cycles have synced, to use terms she’d probably employ. Or has already. It’s not about whether Sarah Palin is a woman, it’s whether she’s the right kind. She’s supposed to restrict snow machines, not ride them or for God’s sake get knocked up by some slopey-brow dullard who rides them. (Competitively! Gawd) Nationalize oil companies, don’t make deals. Have one or two children, not five – Good Gaia, woman, are you trying to make overstuffed congested Alaska top the one-million-citizen mark all by yourself?


As for guys being irresponsible with their precious bodily essences, who cares? Aren’t you using protection? Or are they using vagina-confusing Man-Beams to cloud your mind? As for putting off home repairs, here’s a hint: either learn how to do it yourself, or admit there might be yet in this enlightened age a strange vague hangover that divides labor based on innate gender-influenced personality traits. If you expect him to fix things, and you roll your eyes when he tries, and you accuse him of using spit and matches, his motivation will be diminished – and even then he’ll probably wait until you’re out of earshot before he mutters “what a fishwife.” If your man can’t fix anything it but whines that he can make a really good white sauce, don’t blame him when you have an affair with the electrician.


I know this: Mr. Palin probably doesn’t postpone household repairs, or use glue, or old matches. He can probably change the oil in the car, too. There are guys like that. Not every wife has to sit in a cold Jiffy Lube waiting room leafing through Field and Stream, wishing the weirdo in the other chair would stop looking at her legs.


Ladies and Gentlemen, this is world-class snark. Good snark. Great snark. Biting and oh-so-on-point snark. No one, and I mean NO ONE on Planet Gaia gets on a roll quite like Mr. Lileks. You’re truly missing something if you don’t read the whole thing.


I might be back later today, assuming the drugs are good and the residual pain isn’t debilitating after said drugs wear off. No big deal, it’s just life. And life only, as Bobby D sang.


11 comments:

  1. Barry Obama's Lipstick on a Pig comment(whether intentional or not) just another nail in the BHO Presidential Coffin....how sweet it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally... I think it's much ado about nothing. Must be an especially slow newsday for this to get so much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should all just sit back and enjoy the show - the Obamaplosion to come. Should be entertaining, I'm ready with my popcorn and soda.

    Hope things went well at the dentist for you Buck. Here's hoping for more posting cuz that will mean the drugs are good. And we all like good drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Buck. I hadn't actually been over to read Lileks in a while. He's a funny, funny man - as well as astute and clever, when called for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lileks piece was quite entertaining, I'm glad I went and read the whole thing.

    I hope the early morning appointment went well, having that kind of work done is bad enough, but to suggest that it be done at 8:00am just adds insult to injury, IMHO.

    The one thing I'm not sure about is your opinion of Blogger. I feel like you are not as pleased as you could be with them. I don't know, maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris sez: Hope things went well at the dentist for you Buck. Here's hoping for more posting cuz that will mean the drugs are good. And we all like good drugs.

    Things went as well as they could have, all things considered. What was most interesting is that I was fully conscious this time around, last time I was waaay off in la-la land. No pain, but lots of interesting noises and pressure. Maybe I'll opt for the REALLY good drugs next time... if there is a next time.

    Jim sez: I hear ya. I haven't been to his site since he was doing the conventions... I just wasn't into that. But the man can defintiely tunr a phrase, craft a simile, yadda, yadda. Not many are better at that. 'Cept maybe YOU.

    Amy sez: I hope the early morning appointment went well, having that kind of work done is bad enough, but to suggest that it be done at 8:00am just adds insult to injury, IMHO.

    I agree wholeheartedly on the timing aspect... but maybe Dr. Thompson's a morning person. In cases like this, I think it's good to get your dentist/doctor when he's at his best. I'll sacrifice a lil convenience for that!

    Yeah... I might could have been jes a bit wishy-washy in my opinion about Frickin'Blogger. I'll try and be a lil bit clearer, next time. ;-)

    And now... I feel a SERIOUS nap coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooops. Maybe the drugs were better than I thought... that's ME, not Jim, directly above. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had/are having a good nap!
    Naps are just about my favorite thing in the world.
    Glad to hear things went well at the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. always knew you were a man after my own heart: I believe in getting up at the crack of noon.

    SOrry about the dental grief, poor lamb. Hope you mend quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina: The nap turned out to be a LOT longer than I thought it would... like over six hours. Funny how an experience like this can induce loooong sleep, eh? And it was good, too!

    Phlegmmy sez: always knew you were a man after my own heart: I believe in getting up at the crack of noon.

    Well, it's only been that way recently, say for the last two years or so, and it's one of the bennies/drawbacks of a supremely UN-structured life. I used to be an early riser... in the extreme, like up NLT 0400 weekdays and 0600 on weekends. I think I like this routine better, although my personal jury is out. Type A behavior (or at least The GUILT associated with same) is hard to shake off.

    Doc: Glad to see ya back around the 'net, Bud!! Methinks your routine is getting in place, no?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.