Friday, August 29, 2008

Small Stuff Again... Literally, In One Case

Class… and that’s all that need be said about this:

Don’t expect anything similar from the Obama camp, however. You’ll be disappointed.


―:
:―

I filed a trouble ticket with Site Meter last evening… because of this:



And to say SM’s response was quick is an understatement. Observe this auto-generated response to my trouble ticket, which appeared in my in-box mere seconds after I submitted the trouble ticket:

from Technical Issue smsupport@sitemeter.com
reply-to smsupport@sitemeter.com
to buckpennington01@gmail.com
date Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:31 AM
subject [#ILW-766843]: s17pennington


Norman Pennington,
Your request has been received and a member of our support staff will review it and reply as soon as possible. Listed below are details of this request. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.

Ticket ID: ILW-766843
Codename: s17pennington
Category: Technical Issue
Priority: Normal
Status: Open


Please let us know if we can assist you any further,

Site Meter Support

Followed, in short order, by this:


From smsupport smsupport@sitemeter.com
reply-to smsupport@sitemeter.com
to buckpennington01@gmail.com
date Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM
subject [#ILW-766843]: s17pennington


Hello Norman,


Thank you for writing. We’re currently experiencing technical difficulty at this time and aware of the problem. We are working diligently to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can view your statistics by going to wwwdev.sitemeter.com. We anticipate a fix within several hours. Please know that none of your statistics have been lost. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Andy
SiteMeter Support


Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: ILW-766843
Category: Technical Issue
Priority: Normal
Status: Closed


Now this, Gentle Reader, is customer service. Elapsed time? Six minutes. And the response? Excellent, complete with an explanation, accompanied by a work-around. I really like these guys.

―::―

Peter Parks, Sea water with mixed zooplankton and needle eye (20X) Fifth Place, 2007

About the image you see directly above… I was perusing the archives for a bit last evening and came across a post I put up last July that directed you to the “Nikon International Small World Competition,” which is an annual micro-photography contest sponsored (strangely enough) by Nikon. And I got to wondering if they’d updated their site this year. The answer is “yes.” And, as usual, there are some amazing images on display in the galleries, which go all the way back to 1977. This site could be a serious time waster if you’re into photography, only your time wouldn’t really be wasted at all. You could consider the time spent here as inspiration. Or education. Or simply an excuse to revel in the beauty of a world most of us never see. Good stuff, this.


And… just for grins ‘n’ giggles, below is a screen-shot of the 1977 winners. That’s over 30 years ago, and the state of the art is pretty danged impressive… in my eyes, at least. I’m thinking you’ll agree.

8 comments:

  1. It seems to me that the American people want change in the way politicians work - they want congressmen to quit the silly fighting and get down to business. McCain seems willing to do this. Obama only talks change.

    I love the small world photos - very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small world photos are amazing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was enormously impressed with Senator McCain's show of EXTREME class in that statement, as well as his holding off his VP announcement until today, really carries weight with me. As most everyone knows, I have not been supporting Senator McCain, but even old hard-harded Towanda is starting to come around to accept our candidate, especially with the wonderful surprise choice for VP this morning!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos of small stuff, Buck. You're right - serious time wastin' stuff there. I could spend hours looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou sez: Obama only talks change.

    While he's busy being a frickin' rock star. I TRIED to avoid his speech last evening, but how do you avoid something that's every-frickin'-where? I caught bits and pieces of it, including some of the commentary, but I literally got sick to my stomach watching the cameras pan around Invesco Field... showing The Rapturous Masses In Thrall. Good Grief. It PAINS me to know we have SO many clue-free people among us. Despair.

    Amy, Jenn, and Jim: Those pics ARE cool, are they not? I literally (today's the day for that word, I guess) spent hours this morning... two of 'em... looking at the galleries.

    Sharon sez: As most everyone knows, I have not been supporting Senator McCain, but even old hard-harded Towanda is starting to come around to accept our candidate, especially with the wonderful surprise choice for VP this morning!!!!!

    Great news... about you coming around. Now if we can just get Morgan on board... ;-)

    McCain's veep choice just MIGHT snag a few disgruntled Hillary-ites, too. The PUMA crowd hasn't been mollified yet, and Palin just might win a few of 'em over. McCain made an excellent choice, for more than a few reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photo spread. As for McCain, I try to stay away from politics but I thought the exact same thing about the snagging the upset Hillary voters. Yet it is a tough call on if it will work.

    Okay, I'm trying to be nice and I like your blog but I have to let this out...ARGGHH! You're a RED WINGS FAN! Ouch! Just don't rub it in about us Pens losing Marion Hosea to you Red Wings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle sez: Okay, I'm trying to be nice and I like your blog but I have to let this out...ARGGHH! You're a RED WINGS FAN! Ouch! Just don't rub it in about us Pens losing Marion Hosea to you Red Wings.

    I was probably just as surprised as you... if not MORE so... by the Hossa acquisition. Such are the perils of unlimited free agency! But, as you noted: your loss, our gain. I wouldn't worry too much, Michelle. Your Pens have a bright future, the way I see it. A re-match in next year's Cup Final ain't entirely out of the question! Thanks for dropping by.

    Becky: They ARE cool, ain't they?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.