Monday, May 19, 2008

Trendy, Indulgent, and Cruel

Holee Crap! I’m frickin’ trendy! From yesterday’s NY Times (Chasing Utopia, Family Imagines No Possessions):
AUSTIN, Tex. — Like many other young couples, Aimee and Jeff Harris spent the first years of their marriage eagerly accumulating stuff: cars, furniture, clothes, appliances and, after a son and a daughter came along, toys, toys, toys.
Now they are trying to get rid of it all, down to their fancy wedding bands. Chasing a utopian vision of a self-sustaining life on the land as partisans of a movement some call voluntary simplicity, they are donating virtually all their possessions to charity and hitting the road at the end of May.
[…]
They are not alone.
Matt and Sara Janssen, who traded down from their house in Iowa to a studio apartment in Montana and finally an R.V. powered by vegetable oil, now crisscross the country with their 4-year-old daughter, highway nomads living on $1,500 a month.
Not that simplicity need be that spartan. Cindy Wallach and her husband, Doug Vibbert, of Annapolis, Md., moved out of their apartment with an “everything must go” party and, along with their 3-year-old son, now sail and make their home on a 44-by-24-foot catamaran.
“We never wanted four walls and beige carpet,” Ms. Wallach said.
Though it may not be the stuff of the typical American dream, the voluntary simplicity movement, which traces its inception to 1980s Seattle, is drawing a great deal of renewed interest, some experts say.
Well, well. My story is sorta like the Janssen’s… I went from house to apartment to RV in about a year, giving up about 93% of my possessions in the process… and that was painful. Don’t let anyone tell you it isn’t, Gentle Reader. I don’t go on about it all that much (do I?) with the possible exception of bemoaning the loss of my music LP collection, which I do quite frequently. That said, I wouldn’t go back to my previous life. Because possessions are insidious: they DO tie you down. Dealing with a lot of “stuff” takes a lot of effort, time, and money, as does the acquisition of same. So I agree with this “voluntary simplicity” thing.
There is one key difference, however, between the Janssens and me. I cannot imagine, for the life of me, how a family of three can live on only $1,500 per month in these United States, especially if they live in an RV and do any traveling at all. I don’t care if the thing IS fueled with vegetable oil… RVs get lousy mileage, no matter what fuel they use. Maybe they get their vegetable oil for free, I dunno. But even if they DO get free used oil out of Micky Dee’s deep fat fryers, $1,500 per month is still a very small sum for a family of three. My income is significantly more than theirs, even after taking child support and alimony into consideration, which knocks a pretty sizable chunk right off the top. And I don’t live what I would call an extravagant life…hand-rolled cigars and microbrews aside. (Those two things are my only indulgences, by the way, if you ignore Miss Zukiko.) I don’t think I could live on that amount of money, even if my obligations weren’t considered. I wish the article had elaborated on that aspect of “voluntary simplicity.” That sounds more like voluntary poverty to me.
But. I have very mixed emotions after reading this article. It’s one thing to be trendy while flying under the radar (and unbeknownst to myself, too). It’s quite another kettle of fish to be recognized as such by the frickin’ New York Times. My Gawd.
(Image from PingMag.com)
―:☺:―
Speaking of cigars and indulgences… I receive “special offer” e-mails from cigar.com from time to time. Here’s one such offer, received this morning:
Arturo Fuente God of Fire 15th Anniversary Humidor Sampler
This sampler features a handcrafted Special Edition humidor that holds 300 cigars! Only 30 have ever been made, each including an optima hygrometer, humidifier, lift-out tray and cedar dividers. This deluxe package has 80 never commercially released God of Fire Torpedos from 2004. Want more? For $12,499.95, you will receive 400 cigars, 100 each of the following: Pyramid, Robusto, Double Robusto and Churchill.
As Seen In Robb Report Magazine!
Price: $6.499.95
Ummm… I don’t think so. There’s not even a Certificate of Authenticity included. And the teevee has repeatedly emphasized to all us Discerning Connoisseurs of Fine Stuff that we need certificates. All the best “as seen on teevee” deals have ‘em.
―:☺:―
I go in for my surgery tomorrow morning at 0800 hrs, and I’ll admit to being just a little bit apprehensive. But not about the procedure itself…I’m OK with that. Nope, what has me worried is (a) how am I gonna get enough sleep, given as how I’m normally up to all hours of the night and early morning? and (b) I have to fast before the procedure. Item (b) means NO coffee tomorrow morning. So: I have to get up at the crack o' dawn (so to speak) and I can't have coffee?
I think that’s cruel and inhuman.

12 comments:

  1. Darnit, Buck, could you go in and find the blogger feature setting which allows for a separate screen for comments, at least for the benefit us older farts who now have the memory retention of a house fly? As I read your blog, I go "Yes! I have to say something about that" but by the time I get to the change-over screen (which sometimes takes an epoch out here), I have forgotten all my additions to the stew.

    Now I have forgotten all the tidbits. No, wait, that's right - one was on down-sizing! Oh yeah, I can surely relate to your pains on this one.

    Good luck on the surgery! I am not as worried about the trauma of the operation as the finale when he extracts your wallet orally via your nether regions - that is the inevitable severe trauma. DAMHIK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin, you can click on the "show original post" on this page. It won't show the pics, but you can read the blog again.

    Buck, I worry about you being alone in Portales. Let us know how it goes as soon as you can. Maybe Jenny can bring you some chicken soup.

    As for the trendy RV living - I think it could be fun, but not forever. I want a home to fix up and make mine - a place to come home to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken soup, BBQ roast, homemade lasagna. You ask and I will bring! How long will tomorrow's procedure take, anyway?

    I sure wouldn't want to live in my RV with all 4 of my kids! Heck, not sure if I would want to with just my hubby! I will say that after staying a couple weeks in the camper, it makes my home feel HUGE! LOL!

    That's a bit too much money to be investing in something that's just going to be smoked. I'd rather have something that lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck,
    Good luck on the oral work, I had a whole mouthfull of teeth installed at the Philadelphia Navy Ship Yard many years ago (while there was still a shipyard here) and It was an all day event. On a Tuesday before Thanksgiving too!!! Ruined another perfectly good meal thanks you US Navy!!! LOL - it was the Navy putting my mouth right after getting smacked in the mouth by an A-7 (one of many mis-adventures on the Flight Deck during my 5-years of sea duty).

    Chicken soup is not all that bad if you are eating Dallas Star Crow with it. Hopefully the boys in red will give that to you!!!

    Take care,

    Jimmy T

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best bowl of soup I ever had was canned Campbell's chicken noodle in a small RV on Ocean Beach (San Diego) after having all my molars removed. I was SO hungry, yet in such pain. The familiar squishy noodles took no effort. Tasted so good. Served by my fellow USS CAPE COD sailor (now) wife.

    Ms. Jenny will bring you chicken soup. Do accept.

    Ms. Jenny, that is a sweet offer, if I may say so! I'm a little misty thinking about it.

    Lin, you can also right-click (in WINTEL/IE browsers anyway) on the headline, 'open in new window' and have the original post, plus comments, sidebars, all, visible. Then use alt-tab switching between windows. Wonders for the pseudo-brain that is the computer. Keeps the mind young!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin sez: Darnit, Buck, could you go in and find the blogger feature setting which allows for a separate screen for comments, at least for the benefit us older farts who now have the memory retention of a house fly?

    Good luck on the surgery! I am not as worried about the trauma of the operation as the finale when he extracts your wallet orally via your nether regions - that is the inevitable severe trauma. DAMHIK


    I'll look for that separate screen thingie (actually: I know where it is), but I kinda like the "all in one place" layout.

    The extraction of my wallet has already begun, to my GREAT chagrin. But... It's worth it.

    Lou sez: Buck, I worry about you being alone in Portales. Let us know how it goes as soon as you can. Maybe Jenny can bring you some chicken soup.

    As for the trendy RV living - I think it could be fun, but not forever. I want a home to fix up and make mine - a place to come home to.


    Thanks for the kind thoughts and concern, Lou. I think I'll be OK.

    As for living in the RV... it works for me as long as I maintain a life built for one. If I ever get paired up again I'd move to other quarters. The RV thing works as long as I'm alone.

    Jenny sez: Chicken soup, BBQ roast, homemade lasagna. You ask and I will bring! How long will tomorrow's procedure take, anyway?

    Wow! That's both kind and generous of ya, Jenny. And I just might take you up on your offer, too. "Watch this space," as they say.

    The procedure shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, at the very outside. Still, I might be wrong, but I hope not.

    re: Living in the RV. See above. ;-)

    Those cee-gars are waaay outside of MY league, LOL! I wouldn't spend that much money on smokes anyway, even if I was Warren Buffett.

    Jimmy sez: Good luck on the oral work, I had a whole mouthfull of teeth installed at the Philadelphia Navy Ship Yard many years ago (while there was still a shipyard here) and It was an all day event. On a Tuesday before Thanksgiving too!!! Ruined another perfectly good meal thanks you US Navy!!! LOL - it was the Navy putting my mouth right after getting smacked in the mouth by an A-7 (one of many mis-adventures on the Flight Deck during my 5-years of sea duty).

    Chicken soup is not all that bad if you are eating Dallas Star Crow with it. Hopefully the boys in red will give that to you!!!


    Wow, Jimmy...that sure sounds like a war story worth the telling, but certainly not a fun one.

    And My Boys came through... Bring on those Penguins!!! YEAH!!

    Bob sez: The best bowl of soup I ever had was canned Campbell's chicken noodle in a small RV on Ocean Beach (San Diego) after having all my molars removed. I was SO hungry, yet in such pain. The familiar squishy noodles took no effort. Tasted so good. Served by my fellow USS CAPE COD sailor (now) wife.

    Ms. Jenny will bring you chicken soup. Do accept.

    Ms. Jenny, that is a sweet offer, if I may say so! I'm a little misty thinking about it.


    I think it's a good thing that I like chicken noodle soup when I feel fine -- there are four cans of same in the cupboard. But nothing beats home-made!

    And you're right, that's a wonderful offer Jenny put out there.

    Thanks for all the tips for Lin, Guys... much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck tomorrow Buck! I will be thinking about you! I am with Lou on worrying about you.

    JimmyT's story made me cringe. Smacked in the mouth! Aiiiieeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, all that. Go Aves? No? They're out? Okay, Go 'Wings!

    MR2 Reese sez "wisdom teeth." Not molars. She's the anatomy person of the house (a machinist on dentistry-- disturbing).

    Sleep now, Sergeant. No coffee for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley sez: Good luck tomorrow Buck! I will be thinking about you! I am with Lou on worrying about you.

    JimmyT's story made me cringe. Smacked in the mouth! Aiiiieeeeee!


    Thanks, Ash... I appreciate your thoughts and concern. And yeah, getting smacked in the mouth by an A-7 had to HURT!

    Bob sez: Yeah, all that. Go Aves? No? They're out? Okay, Go 'Wings!

    MR2 Reese sez "wisdom teeth." Not molars. She's the anatomy person of the house (a machinist on dentistry-- disturbing).

    Sleep now, Sergeant. No coffee for YOU!


    Sleep's gonna be hard to come by until this adrenaline high recedes. I thought you might be talking about wisdom teeth, but wasn't sure. But Hey!... Machinists, dentists...same-o, same-o... just different certifications and working environments, no? ;-)

    And thanks for the "Go Wings!" comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll be in my thoughts Buck, Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I had many a fright working the "roof" as it is affectonaly known. I knew it was going to be rough career when on my very first day working up there I was carried off in a stokes (that's one of those wire man-sized baskets or strechers). But, I was young and dumb and they talked me back up there right away, the Squadron Flight Deck Chief knew if I did not go right back up there I would spend the rest of my days below decks in the shops. No favors there, as I would be carried off in the stokes two more times and I would become fast friends with the Corpsman that manned the flight deck Battle Dressing Station (that's where you go for the band-aids and asprin).

    But, I won't trade them days in for any money in the world. That was the life, doging aircraft like that A-7 (well mostly), the F-4, A-6, E-2, A-3, A-5, C-1, C-2 and of course my fav the mighty War Hoover, the S-3. If I was 30 years younger I'd go right back!!!

    JimmyT

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHAT freakin' surgery?! Where did i miss that part! Dude, here's a tip of a Drambuie hoping it goes well!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.