Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Comings and Goings

Today Tomorrow is Blog-Buddy Laurie’s birthday. I know VERY few people who work as hard or are as dedicated to a cause, any cause…hers being Soldiers’ Angels… than Laurie. And she is a genuinely NICE person on top of all that. Laurie is one of my favorite people in the blogosphere, actually.

Happy Birthday, Girl! Now c’mere and pucker up. I’ve got a birthday kiss for ya.

(Yeah, it’s an old photo. You might could say it’s false advertising, in a way. But it IS me… albeit a younger, better looking me. Just accept it and don’t ask questions, mmm-kay? I don’t wanna scare the horses by posting a current pic.)

Note: Updated when I realized today is Wednesday...NOT Thursday. I'm such a maroon sometimes. But Hey! Now you have advance notice. No need to thank me.

―:☺:―

Two Visa tales… first, from Business Week (“Guess Who's Getting the Most Work Visas;Indian outsourcers top the list of companies bringing foreign workers to the U.S. on the H-1B program”):

The controversy over visas for high-skilled workers from abroad looks like it's about to get even hotter.

The program for what are known as H-1B visas was originally set up to allow companies in the U.S. to import the best and brightest in technology, engineering, and other fields when such workers are in short supply in America. But data just released by the federal government show that offshore outsourcing firms, particularly from India, dominate the list of companies awarded H-1B visas in 2007. Indian outsourcers accounted for nearly 80% of the visa petitions approved last year for the top 10 participants in the program. The new data are sure to fuel criticism of the visa program from detractors such as Senators Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.). "These numbers should send a red flag to every lawmaker that the H-1B visa program is not working as it was intended," said Grassley in an e-mail.

[…]

Critics such as Grassley and Durbin charge that the outsourcers are abusing the U.S. program. The work visas, they say, are supposed to be used to bolster the U.S. economy. The idea is that companies like Microsoft, Google, or IBM can use them to hire software programmers or computer scientists with rare skills, fostering innovation and improving competitiveness. Instead, critics say, companies such as Infosys and Wipro are undermining the American economy by wiping out jobs.

[…]

A clash is likely in the coming months. Durbin and Grassley are pushing for more restrictions in the program, even as tech companies are advocating for a sharp increase in the number of visas handed out each year. The senators want to tighten the program's criteria, by requiring participating companies to try to hire American workers first and to pledge that visa workers will not displace American workers. U.S. tech companies, meanwhile, want Congress to increase the visa cap from 65,000 a year to at least 115,000.

I agree with Senators Durbin and Grassley… it appears the Indian outsourcers are abusing the program. But I also agree with the corporate IT guys in that we—the US― need more H-1B visas, not less. Finding qualified American IT workers was pretty danged hard in my day, and I can only imagine the situation is worse these days and not better…given the growth in the IT industry. I had a bunch of database administrators (primarily Oracle DBAs) working for me in the last job I held. Out of the five DBAs on my team three were Indian, one was Russian, and only ONE was American. And these are six-figure jobs we’re on about, Gentle Reader. The financial incentives and rewards are substantial in the IT field, particularly for DBAs, so why don’t we have more native-grown talent in these areas? That remains a mystery to me…

But I know one answer to the immediate problem: there’s a wealth of foreign IT talent beating down our doors. It would be to our benefit to let a few more of ‘em in. It would also be to our benefit to encourage our young folks to take up studies in the technical fields. We can’t survive very long depending on others to carry our water for us.

Oh. I did say two visa articles, didn’t I? So, here’s the second, from Mark Steyn… writing in an article about the differences between the US and Canadian economies:

Fourth point: The Canadian economy is significantly more dirigiste (i.e., centrally planned). A couple of years ago it was revealed that the government had introduced a fast-track immigration program for exotic dancers (otherwise known as strippers). Now as a general rule, one of the easiest things to leave for the free market to determine is the number of strippers a society needs. But for some reason, the government concluded that the market wasn’t generating the supply required and introduced a special immigration visa. To go back to President Bush’s line, maybe this is one of those jobs that Canadians won’t do, so we need to get some Ukrainians in to do it. Naturally, the exotic dancers are unionized, so it’s only a matter of time before the last viable industry in Quebec grinds to a halt and American tourists in Montreal find themselves stuck in traffic because of huge numbers of striking strippers. What governmental mind would think of an exotic dancer immigration category?

Well, I only included Steyn for a laugh, but it is funny, indeed. On the one hand we have Indian outsourcers abusing the H-1B visa program coupled with a bona-fide lack of qualified technical folks…and on the other the Canadian gub’mint is welcoming strippers. How’s that for juxtaposition, Gentle Reader?

(h/t to Lin for the Steyn piece… there’s more and it’s good. Chase that link.)

―:☺:―

I need to bookmark this for future reference when I get down in the dumps after reading the rants and raves posted in the Lefty fever-swamps: Poll: Most Americans Don’t Read Political Blogs.” Excerpts:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A majority of Americans do not read political blogs, the online commentaries that have proliferated in the race for the U.S. presidency, according to a poll released on Monday.

Only 22 percent of people responding to the poll said they read blogs regularly, meaning several times a month or more, according to the survey conducted by Harris Interactive.

[…]

While blogs are largely considered the realm of young people who are most Internet-savvy, only 19 percent of people ages 18 to 31, and 17 percent of those ages 32 to 43, regularly read a political blog, the poll said.

The generation most likely to read such blogs are those age 63 or older, 26 percent of whom said they do so. Also, 23 percent of those ages 44 to 62 read them, the poll said.

Most of this ain’t news. The part that got me was the “63 or older” demographic being the ones “most likely to read,” and that was something of a surprise. Most people (of all ages) respond with a “hunh?” and the most exquisite of dumb looks when I tell ‘em I blog… usually in response to the UCR question “What do you do to keep busy now that you’re retired?” It’s interesting… the stuff one takes for granted, only to find out most other people don’t give a big rodent’s hind-quarters.

―:☺:―

A funny from My Buddy Ed in Florida I’ve seen this one before in a different iteration, but this version has a couple of new-to-me twists.

MENTAL HOSPITAL PHONE MENU:

Hello and thank you for calling The State Mental Hospital.
Please select from the following options menu:

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want, stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be forwarded to the Mother Ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, nothing will make you happy anyway.

If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969696.

If you are bipolar, please leave a message after the beep or before the beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short- term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self-esteem, please hang up our operators are too busy to talk with you.

If you are menopausal, put the gun down, hang up, turn on the fan, lie down and cry. You won't be crazy forever.

If you are blonde, don't press any buttons, you'll just mess it up.

This coming week is National Mental Health Care week.

You can do your part by remembering to contact at least one unstable person to show you care.

Well, my job is done…Your turn

I kept pressing “nine” and nothing happened…

12 comments:

  1. Just on blogs in general, or maybe the internet in general: I'm the only one of the people I grew up with who has a presence on the internet. I've googled names, etc., of my young buddies (from the 60's, 70's) and I basically come up with zilch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thanks Buck! {smooch}

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture is cute Buck.

    I have the mental health thing on my phone. It is slightly different though.
    I did not realize that being blond meant that one was "unstable." I resent that! ;) (maybe it is the bottle blonds who are unstable) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I don’t wanna scare the horses by posting a current pic." (how in the heck do you italicize in the comments?)

    Come on Buck, go ahead and scare the horses, I'll just bet they don't spook that easy. :)

    It's not a surprise to me people don't read political blogs. They can be depressing. Personally I find myself more interested in how a person views many things in life rather than just their political views
    that's why I read this blog :)
    The Mental Hospital Phone Menu was really funny, I had never seen that one. I think I shall have to hang that one on the fridge for when I get to feeling a little overwhelmed with life.xl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Durbin, et al, are correct just like you are, but their motives aren't as pure as yours. They're just beating up on eevyl korporashuns to keep themselves in good graces with the watermelons (green on outside red on inside).

    This word "skills" is very seldom explored meaning-wise. It needs exploration because it's a Yin-Yang thing, and has two different meanings in the two worlds. In the world of Yang it is demonstration that you have completed coursework, and in the world of Yin it is aptitude. I have skill pumping gas into my car. Now if the time comes where there is certification handed out for pumping gas into a car, and I don't have it, the inquiry "Does Morgan have skill pumping gas into a car" will elicit a definite yes from half of us and a definite no from the other half.

    So in my world, when Bill Gates goes to Congress and says he needs more H1-B's to address this lack of "skill" he must have a different meaning in mind of what "skills" are than I do. (In fact he does, because his statistics have to do with number of graduates from computer science courses.) That, or else America has gotten really atrophied at the "there's away to do this and I'm gonna find it by cracky" meme that used to be our defining characteristic, what made the country great and wonderful.

    I like my world a lot better and I think Mr. Gates should to. It has to do with getting the job DONE. On time, under budget. Not following rules...not showing you have the right letters after your name. PERforming over CONforming. Not to badmouth my accredited, and sometimes overly-accredited, brethren in I.T. since having those kinds of "skills" is not mutually-exclusive from being able to do the job. But it isn't synonymous either.

    And the fact of the matter is, if we all agreed on what the word "skills" meant, and we were all concerned about getting the contraption built on-time, under-budget, so it stays built and does what it's supposed to do...and if America had the kind of spirit it had in the John Wayne days...this wouldn't be an issue at all. We'd see what needs to be done, pick the most capable from among us, and get 'er done.

    http://keepamericaatwork.com/?m=20080204

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, when I get on my soapbox talking about how ability is no longer valued the way it should be today...I like to misspell lots of things and get my homonyms confused. It adds that charm, ya know.

    to == too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Buck,

    i have anger management problems, so after hearing the entire freaking menu i PUNCHED ALL BUTTONS AT THE SAME TIME, JERKED THE $)*$&^%* PHONE OUT OF THE $%$$#*&%$*)%$ WALL AND THREW IT OUT THE $#%$)$(*%$*&%$_)(*&#$*&()*%$ WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture!

    I'd seen the phone thing before, but it's been so long I'd forgotten most of it. I really relate to the menopausal one, because, you know, I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim sez: I'm the only one of the people I grew up with who has a presence on the internet.

    It's pretty much the same story here, slightly modified. Some folks near and dear to me began blogs but are... umm... less than conscientious about keeping them up. But they have lives, jobs and families, so I kinda sorta understand.

    Laurie sez: Awwww, thanks Buck! {smooch}

    Hey! Happy Birthday!! And this time I mean it!

    Ashley sez: I did not realize that being blond meant that one was "unstable."

    A classic case of the many ruining it for the few, eh? ;-)

    Dawn sez: (how in the heck do you italicize in the comments?)

    Ya gotta use HTML tags. Blogger doesn't make life easy for commenters, unlike some platforms where all you have to do is highlight something and then click a button. And to make things worse, you can't use just any tag in comments, either. I hear ya, re: your other comments, 'cept for scaring the horses...

    Morgan: You bring up some good points... but it takes more than just will to "git 'r' dun" these days. You can't just pick up a book and figure out how to optimize a database, or worse: fix one when it goes belly-up. Same thing where sys admin (in general) is concerned. It takes a lot of study or natural talent (similar to that "talent" for languages), coupled with experience, to be effective in tech. But you know this...

    Jay: But did you open the window, first?

    Becky sez: I really relate to the menopausal one, because, you know, I'm getting there.

    OK... remind me to be very, very NICE to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the help Buck,I suppose I'm gonna have to add you to my list of blog mentors :)
    just practicing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buck: Yes, database administration/maintenance is something for which you need formal training in the proper tools, just like any other administration. Training does have a place.

    As is the case with all viciously ufduckfayed things in life, the mistake is a critical instant in which we confuse the extreme with the moderate. And to shoehorn ALL of the THOUSANDS of specialized I.T. chores into the hemisphere that is serviced by formal training, is an exercise in extremism. Measurably so: It contains the word "all."

    The longer I live, the more convinced I am is that there is a certain talent required for passing tests. It doesn't quite correlate with the ability to learn things comprehensively & rapidly, as we'd like to think. And it seems to be mutually-exclusive with the talent of foreseeing problems and solving puzzles, which (in my mind) is what a big chunk of I.T. really is.

    Not all of I.T., just the non-admin, "let's see if it's possible to do this" kind.

    But I just wanted to harp on that word "skill." It doesn't have the surgical-level of precision people would like it to. And when you're involving people like Bill Gates and this point still doesn't seem to be acknowledged, someone's being a deceiptful little boogar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dawn: You're welcome... MY pleasure, it is!

    Morgan: We're on the same page... and for much the same reasons. Like you, I was a non-degreed "professional" and fought a LOT of wars and/or overcame lotsa "issues" in that space.

    What was worse, and absolute sacrilege, in my case, was the fact I was a non-technical manager of technical people in my last three or four positions. THAT really eats the Certifications Crowd right up! Especially when they happen to be poseurs, which a lot of 'em are. Not news... I know.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.