Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Random Firing of Synapses

Apropos of exactly nothing…except for the firing-off of long dormant synapses… Here’s The Lovin’ Spoonful:

And those synapses of mine? Kind of a long story, but here’s the Readers Digest version. I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB back in ’65 when this tune was on the charts. I also entered a “DeeJay for a Day” contest run by the local radio station (whose call letters I’ve long forgotten) at that very same time. And I won that contest… drawing, actually…one of the very few things I’ve “won” in life, to be frank. “Do You Believe in Magic?” was the very first tune I played during that “DeeJay For A Day” outing. Which, to be frank yet again, was one of the most anti-climatic experiences in my life, ever. “DeeJay For 45 Minutes Sitting Alone In An Auxiliary Control Room Back-Announcing Records That I Sorta Got To Choose As Long As They Were On The Oh-So-Abbreviated AM Playlist” would be much more accurate, but I’ll spare you the details. Later on in life I became a real DeeJay at KBOK in Sinop, Turkey. Sorta.

Anyway. You don’t forget things like that.

3 comments:

  1. My cheerleaders did a dance routine to "Magic" last year (though a newer version of it). What's old is new again, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember watching that when it aired! God, I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny sez: What's old is new again, I suppose.

    I don't know if that's a good or a BAD thing, LOL! This particular song ain't all that bad (I really like it, in fact)... but others from the same period most certainly ARE that bad...

    Mushy: You and me both, Dude!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.