Friday, December 14, 2007

Pertinent Video Comment

If you’ve been by Mushy’s place today, you’ve seen this. But it’s just too danged good NOT to post here at EIP.

Perfect. Just frickin’ perfect, innit?

I used to dread the onslaught of Christmas catalogs, back when they still were Christmas catalogs. I dunno exactly when the Official American Vernacular changed, but it was sometime in the last six or seven years, methinks. But Hey! Opportunities abound for great good fun with this phenomenon. I simply revel in the opportunity to respond to some clerk, manager, or other hapless employee (who’s been instructed to use the now-ubiquitous “Happy Holidays!” by his employer) with “Merry Christmas!” And yannowhut? The response, nine times out of ten, is a big smile and a “Thank You!”

Most of us Get It, regardless of what the PC-Police think.

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen this one yet.. Feliz NaviToss to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good!

    Maybe it's because I live in the Bible belt, or maybe it's just because we Southerners are a stubborn lot, but around here, the store clerks still say Merry Christmas.

    And I say, more power to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the FelizNaviTos, I hate so many catalogs in such a busy time of year, and I could care less what they call this time of year. "Holidays" comes from the words Holy days - what is wrong with that? The real offense is the ridiulous pressure from everyone to buy, buy, buy! Maybe it should be called "go-in-dept-mas." And if Santa, evergreen trees, and the Easter Bunny have anything to do with Christianity...did I just rant on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou sez: ...did I just rant on your blog?

    Why, yes. I think you did! ;-) And feel free to do so whenever ya like, too!

    TripleE and Becky...thanks for the kind words. And Becky... one would sorta expect the same thing around here, as we're pretty Bible-beltish, too (as in: there are waaaay more churches than bars in this area), but noooo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, It must be the Southern Stubbonrness then.

    Lou, I don't mind getting catalogs. I seldom buy anything, but I do enjoy looking. I don't have anything against the word holiday either. It's just when people try to tell me I have to say that and can't say Christmas.

    Actually, Santa does have a lot to do with Christmas. If one referrs to the real Santa--Sinter Klaaus--, that is.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.