Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Gentle Reader. I’m going to be lazy today and re-run what I said last year (in part...there was more), mainly coz (a) it’s all true and (b) I’m fresh out of original i-deers. So…from Turkey-Day-Last:

Of all the things I’m thankful for on this day…family, friends, reasonable health… I thank God most of all for making me an American. Most all of the good things in my life begin and end with that one single fact.

You could do much worse today than read the editorial the WSJ has published every Thanksgiving since 1961.

We can remind ourselves that for all our social discord we yet remain the longest enduring society of free men governing themselves without benefit of kings or dictators. Being so, we are the marvel and the mystery of the world, for that enduring liberty is no less a blessing than the abundance of the earth.

And we might remind ourselves also, that if those men setting out from Delftshaven had been daunted by the troubles they saw around them, then we could not this autumn be thankful for a fair land.

As true today as it was back in 1961.

The images come from Thanksgiving Corner, which has a great collection of Thanksgiving wallpaper. Normally I'd only post a single topical image, but I was so taken with the second image that I had to post it. Shades of Ben Franklin, and all that.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!

    I can (sort of) understand Ben's sentiments (although I suspect he was just exploring the idea with his daughter), but I cannot imagine eating our national bird every Thanksgiving Holiday. Of course, Ben didn't know about that All American Holiday in the future.

    Have a wonderful day, Buck.
    Thanks for the lovely wallpaper site! lyurya! (Blogger word verification)
    Shoot. I took too long. Blogger negated that one with negzk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your day was a happy one Buck!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.