Sunday, November 11, 2007

Project VALOUR-IT

It’s that time of year, folks. Time for the annual VALOUR-IT fundraiser! Most of you know what VALOUR-IT is…those of you who don’t should go here immediately, if not sooner. And, in the interests of saving some of your valuable time, there’s much more here…from a historical perspective. But this is the money-graf, if you’re looking for one:

Every cent raised for Project Valour-IT goes directly to the purchase and shipment of laptops for severely wounded service members. As of October 2007, Valour-IT has distributed over 1500 laptops to severely wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines across the country.

Valour-IT is a project of Soldiers Angels, which is an IRS-designated 501(c)(3) non-profit charity. Thus donations to the project may be tax deductible, and eligible for employer matching funds if applicable.

Now about the fund-raiser…which only lasts for two short weeks and ends on November 11th. We do it as a good-natured (hah!) competition between The Good Guys and Those Other Guys, namely the squids, jar-heads, and grunts of the world...who may be well-meaning but are nonetheless deprived in a lot of ways. In the case of the Navy, you just gotta question the judgment of folks who choose to live a life where they go for months on end without a drop of alcohol or an opportunity to touch anything soft (besides themselves, that is). And I’ve never understood the Army’s love of mud and communal living. Same goes for the Marines. What ARE they thinking?

But The Other Guys are good at some things. For example… to my ever-lasting embarrassment, Team Air Force came in dead last in last year’s fund raiser.

O, the ignominy.

But we can fix that this year with your help and indulgence, Gentle Reader. Simply click the “Make Donation” button on that widget at the very top of the side-bar. There’s NO better cause in this world, at this moment or any other. Do it for our wounded heroes, first and foremost.

And help redeem Team Air Force while you’re at it.

Update: 10/30/2007, 1058 hrs. We've had "issues" with the "Chip In!" widget that used to be on the side bar, specifically: the old widget wasn't updating the running totals. The "Chip In!"widget has been replaced with a new graphic, as you can see. I've been assured if you donated using the old widget your contribution made it.

And speaking of contributions...Team Air Force is in third place as of this writing (10/30). The Navy appears to be sorta stuck in port but those grunts and jar-heads are pressing the fight. Hard.

C'mon Zoomies...Let's soar into that Wild Blue Yonder!!

Update: 11/01/2007, at the very crack-of-mid-morning. Mrs. Greyhawk, the illustrious leader of Team Air Force, has news about a couple of exciting items to be auctioned off in support of VALOUR-IT. For example: dontcha think a personalized "Day By Day" cartoon would look good on the wall of your den? Or a caricature of YourOwnSelf penned by none other than John Cox of Cox and Forkum? (name sound familiar? check the cartoon immediately above!) Either or both could be yours...if you submit the winning bid! Check it out...

The news from the front is depressing today. Team Air Force is bringing up the rear in these early days of competition, and it looks like Team Ground-Pounder has built an insurmountable lead...what with them doubling the Good Guys' total donations. Even our arch rivals are finally out of port and steaming off into the sunset. (Does a nuclear-powered flotilla still "steam?")

But...as noted: it's still early days! We didn't give up after Schweinfurt... and we won't give up now! Hit that donation button early and often!!

Yet Another Update, 11/01/2007: Flag Gazer has pics of items up for auction in support of VALOUR-IT. I particularly like the quilt! The auction site, btw, is here.

Update 11/02/2007, 1220 hrs: Continuing bad news from the front. I'm at a loss to explain this... Laurie said, in comments, that she has a listing of all Air Force items up for auction at her place...go check it out!

Update, 11/06/2007, 1035 hrs.: The news from the front is MUCH better today! Team Air Force has put over $2,000.00 worth of distance between ourselves and last-place Team Squid and we're within striking distance of those Jarheads! The Grunts, on the other hand, are still waaay out in front. We're in the third quarter (to use a sports metaphor, like any good American)...and only one-sixth of the way towards our goal. We need to PRESS! As in: PRESS that donate button!

Update, 11/09/2007: The VALOUR-IT fundraiser is officially over on Sunday, November 11. And for the first time ever it looks like we will not meet our goal. Let me quote Mrs. Greyhawk, the AF Team Lead:

As some of you may have noticed, we are no where near our goal of $240,000. Ambitious as it is, we have managed to raise this in past. Currently all 4 team totals come to approx. $55000.00. A goal per team was $60,000. Although these current numbers may look impressive to some, we are still dealing with those troops who were wounded the first half of this year. Valour-IT is not going to survive the next 4-5 months without raising more than we have so far.

Giving out from 30 to 100 laptops per month since June, Valour-IT is in more demand than ever. We literally scraped the bottom of the barrel with our last delivery of laptops, and Soldiers' Angels has said they cannot allocate any more funds for us until March 2008.
I hate begging for money. And I don't like the more than superficial resemblance EIP has taken on to that obnoxious phenomenon known as "PBS Pledge Week." BUT. I DO believe in VALOUR-IT and I DO believe in providing our wounded troops with an ability to "do for themselves," something that is invaluable to normally self-sufficient, proud, and able soldiers rendered dependent on others due to their horrible wounds. I would hate to see this program go belly up, however briefly, because the money ran out.

This is my last plea: won't you please hit that "donate" button on the sidebar? Even if it's only for five or ten dollars...every bit helps. And if you don't want to donate
to in favor of Team Air Force, go here and choose your poison. (As long as it isn't Team Squid, of course. I jest! I jest!)

Update 11/10/2007: Yesterday I offered up what I said was my final plea. Well, I have one more: Go read the VALOUR-IT post Blog-Buddy Morgan put up late last evening. Morgan gave us a link in the comments to this post... but not everyone reads all comment, all the time. And his post is worth your time, as is ALL of his stuff. But this one is a gem among gems. Do go.

And then donate. Please.

29 comments:

  1. Valour-IT and Fisher House - my favorite charities!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck - love ya, love your blog - but going for Navy this year. Loyalties to the good Captain, doncha know. It's all good, no matter where it comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris sez: It's all good, no matter where it comes from.

    True, dat.

    But I'm reminded of Orwell when it comes to equality, or where the services are involved, merit: "Some {strike}animals{/strike} SERVICES are more equal than others." Ergo, GO ZOOMIES!

    (Blogger doesn't do strikeout text in comments, in case you're wondering about the weirdness above!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Buck,

    Would you mind reposting this on the USAF Radar Sites Veterans and the Fortuna AFS group sites?

    I believe you're a member of both groups.

    Or, with your permission, I can post it.

    Thanks!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops.

    Fortuna AFS link was missing something!

    :::blush:::

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Done, Lori...in both places. GREAT idea, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful cause, and good on you for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, to whom shall I give my money and support?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, to whom shall I give my money and support?

    Lou... There's this saying about there being "no stupid questions..." But this comes close.

    ;-) <== That's a BIG Grin and a Wink!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol sez: What a wonderful cause, and good on you for highlighting it!

    We (milbloggers) have done this every year for the last few. I think this is the third iteration. You're right: It's a GREAT cause!

    Some Squid said: Team Navy-Coast Guard Challenges Team Zoomie :)
    - SJS


    I see Mike hadn't answered as of the last I time I looked. But I'm sure he'll take you up on that, SJS.

    I think I'd like to see the B-58 on Flight Deck Friday. I'd begin my research now, if I were you... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buck,

    You deserve props for this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for mentioning this - I'm sad that I've never heard of it before. I'm definitely going to look into it.

    Just want to thank you and your sons for your service to this country. I (and millions of other Americans who live FREE) thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, B-58...GREAT call. That's one plane I never get tired of seeing when I head out to the SAC Museum.

    And Navy's pulled ahead...barely. We're at least keeping it close this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, the Hustler eh? Sort of like Team Zoomie's efforts last year? Fast out of the gate, flamed out early and ended up in obscurity... 8)

    There's "virtual" presence and then there's persistant, combat credible force - forward deployed (and with a tailhook to boot). we'll greet you at the finish line with a cold one -- again this year :D
    - SJS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok buck,
    I am donating, but now I have to go over and donate on the Navy side to offset it... Great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mike sez: Ooh, B-58...GREAT call. That's one plane I never get tired of seeing when I head out to the SAC Museum.

    Thank you, Kind Sir. And there are no extraneous appendages on the airframe, either. Unlike those sea-going things...

    Which, of course, brings us to...

    Some Squid Snarked (I'm thinking about referring to you as S3 from now on, SJS): Hmm, the Hustler eh? Sort of like Team Zoomie's efforts last year? Fast out of the gate, flamed out early...

    "Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse." With LOTSA money to VALOUR-IT's credit, I should add. We'll see what we'll see, eh?

    Patriot said: Just want to thank you and your sons for your service to this country.

    And thank you for the kind words. And for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did laugh at your observation that the Navy is stuck in port.

    Avast, ye scurvy knaves. Man the rowlocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uncle Buck,

    Are we positive that we want to give these 'lectric boxes to wounded soldiers? I can barely keep from using this thing to sight my scope in at 200 yards most days. Of course, if that's the idea...

    Shooting things that cause frustration can be wonderful therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the quilt too! Very nice work, wish there was a better closeup to see the quilting details (as a quilter, I appreciate that stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  20. David sez: I did laugh at your observation that the Navy is stuck in port.

    No more, David. They're definitely "haze gray and under way" as I write...

    TFNP sez: Shooting things that cause frustration can be wonderful therapy!

    True, dat. But I think squids are out of season at the moment...

    Jenny sez: I like the quilt too!

    Ain't it beautiful? Blue IS my favorite color (strange, eh?), and the eagle motif is just SO appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. More auction news - Blue Angels stuff!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenny - Click on the picture to enlarge it...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've listed all auction items for Team AF on my blog, will update as they are added.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Soldiers Angels & I sent my Valour IT contribution last week - important stuff. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a heart-warming project, Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Linked.

    Spread the word. Let's close this gap.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.