Monday, September 03, 2007

A Minor Rant

Not exactly rocket science, this:

I never got to the bottom of the situation in that particular town, but the broader question — whether police officers in some towns are motivated by fund-raising as well as safety when writing traffic tickets — has been examined systematically by others. Michael D. Makowsky, a doctoral student in economics, and Thomas Stratmann, an economics professor, both at George Mason University, studied the issue in a recent paper, “Political Economy at Any Speed: What Determines Traffic Citations?”

They examined every warning and citation written by police officers in all of Massachusetts, excluding Boston, during a two-month period in 2001 — over 60,000 in all. Their conclusion wasn’t shocking to an economist: money matters, even in traffic violations. They found a statistical link between a town’s finances and the likelihood that its police officers would issue a speeding ticket. The details are a little sticky, but they show that tickets were issued more often in places that were short on cash, and that out-of-towners received tickets more often than drivers with local addresses.

I guess my bottom-line here is “It’s nice to have academic proof for what we ALL know to be true.” And I have my own lil horror story to add to the pot, as well.

According to The Wiki, Elida, NM…a small town just south of P-Ville… has but 183 people (“As of the census of 2000, there were 183 people, 76 households, and 50 families residing in the town.”). THREE of these people are police officers. That’s three out of 183 people, and one more person in Elida just happens to be a judge, strangely enough. I have it on pretty damned good authority (don’t ask me how, I just know. Trust me.) the town of Elida’s primary source of income is traffic fines. Period. End of report. And they got about $50.00 (or so — I don’t remember the exact amount) from me two years ago, for doing 25 mph in a 15 mph zone…a school zone. The “officer” that pulled me over claimed I was speeding in a school zone, even though I pay CAREFUL attention to such things at all times. The posted limit is 25 mph, and the flashing lights alerting drivers to the school zone limit were NOT on. The officer noted that I was extremely unlucky, in that “the lights go off at 4:00 p.m. The time on my ticket was 1559 hrs.

One more thing…a car with New Mexico plates preceded me by about two car lengths through the school zone, going at least 35 mph. I have Texas plates on my car. You know who got pulled over…

It wasn’t the fine that upset me, Gentle Reader…it was the 60% increase in my insurance rates that really pissed me off. And there wasn’t a damned thing I could do about it, either, even though that was the first and only ticket I’d received since I was busted for speeding in the Isle of Man in 1982. But that’s yet another story.

The insurance “surcharge” for being a convicted criminal expires this coming year. My animosity for the frickin’ town of Elida will NEVER expire.

Update (clarification) 09/04/2007: My "Inside Elida" source e-mailed me an off-line comment about the town of Elida's finances...thusly:

In Elida, the Police Department supported THEIR DEPARTMENT with fines, not the whole town. Just a minor difference. Of course there aren't too many other departments in Elida. There's water & streets, and the town hall...

Well, now. I dunno if that's better...or worse. It pains me greatly to think I contributed to the support of the "officer" who wrote my ticket.

4 comments:

  1. So the advice is: slow waaay down in them Podunk towns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes even going the speed limit is not enough. If you have out of state plates, they figure you will pay the fine rather than comeing back for a court date. Louisiana is known for this trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. Gotta watch that Elida speed-trap. The main cop down there is married to a really cranky old bitch that is one of the main 911 dispatchers (I listen to her almost every day from wakeup til sometime in the afternoon on the police scanner. Along with the Elida cop guy). Just her voice can get your goat. Anyway, not a big fan of Elida myself, since they are one of our biggest district rivals. But not burning any bridges here, as my children may go to school there if Floyd doesn't improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All y'all just don't know the destructive and criminal fantasies I had after I got that ticket. They mostly involved all four tires on Elida's SUV cop car and an ice pick, or something like it...

    But restraint... or more appropriately, the fear of getting caught... held me in check. But I really, really wanted to slash those tires. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.