Monday, August 20, 2007

"Off the Grid." Literally.

Someone I think you’d like to know, assuming, Gentle Reader, that you appreciate excellent writing, adventure, and tales of the road less taken Meet Lin, proprietress of the most-excellent blog If the Creek Don’t Rise. “If the Creek Don’t Rise” is the chronicle of a quasi-retired (Lin’s words) couple that moved from somewhere in Ohio to rural northern New Mexico to live a life “off the grid,” which means exactly what it says: no electricity, no running water, and miles away from the nearest paved road. I’m not sure exactly how long I spent reading Lin’s blog last night in terms of absolute time, but as the saying goes: “time flies when you’re having fun.” I read the entire blog last evening, which consists of 80 posts documenting nearly two years of forging a life that is most atypical, in the best possible sense of that word. And I’ve not been entertained as well, or as satisfyingly, in years. As I said to Lin in the comments to yesterday’s EIP post: “Anyone who says the American Pioneer Spirit is dead obviously hasn't read your blog.”

I think you’ll like her.

Back in a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Looks really interesting! I'll have to read her a bit more soon.

    Checked out Caveman. That was funny. My FIL will like that. Too bad our connection was so slow, though.

    Don't wash the Green Hornet for a while. Hubby started cutting hay today, don't need any rain for a while. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link, Buck. I've bookmarker her so that I can read her at my leisure...

    Huh, leisure? What's that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, I am so thrilled that you enjoyed reading about our misadventures. It really does give me more reason to forge on and share the latest hard-earned insights as well as the amusing events in the process. Maybe it will serve as a good "Whatever you do, don't do as we did" primer some day for others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny said: Don't wash the Green Hornet for a while. Hubby started cutting hay today, don't need any rain for a while. LOL!

    Noted. I was gonna do that today, but will defer. Any excuse to avoid work is good, and this one is better than most! ;-)

    Also agree about the slow connection/viewing that web site. While my connection is marginally faster than yours, Jenny, it ain't enough for viewing streaming video reliably.

    Becky: re: Leisure. You may or may not have heard: A woman's work is NEVER done. ;-)

    Lin: "Lessons Learned" would be just one of many reasons to read your blog. I've given a lot of thought about what you and Mark are doing over the course of the last day or two, and I'm still somewhat awestruck, on a number of levels. Most of us (Americans) love our creature comforts way too much to adopt your lifestyle, or to even attempt what you guys are doing. And that includes me.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.