Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Miscellaneous Musings, Thursday Wednesday Edition

This is interesting:See Who's Editing Wikipedia - Diebold, the CIA, a Campaign.” The title is self-explanatory, but the methodology used to ID “anonymous” Wikipedia editors— all of ‘em — is pretty danged creative. Gotta love those graduate students…
Note: I wrote this last evening right after I found and read the linked article. And this morning the whole freakin’ ‘sphere is trying to play “Gotcha” with the Wiki…so much so that the search tool’s author has disabled the “search by wikipedia page” function (“Specify by Wikipedia page -- Disabled until the onsalught of traffic wanes.”). This is one of the hazards of trying to “get ahead of the game” when blogging…the ‘sphere just moves too fast. And not sometimes, either. ALL the time.
So, I’m watching The WX Channel (once again: last evening), and I’m noticing it’s really hard for them to contain their excitement over Hurricane Flossie. Hell, they’ve even flown Jim Cantore to the Big Island, even though the hurricane is only supposed to graze the island and is diminishing in strength with each passing hour. But, Hell. We all have our boondoggles and I like Cantore, besides. He deserves an assignment that isn’t Mississippi or Florida, just for a change.
Suspicion confirmed… On the same subject: Hurricane Flossie? What kind of name is that? I’ve never heard of anyone named Flossie, let alone known anyone by that name. The first thing that came to my mind was some sort of animated cartoon my dentist might show to kids (he’s big on that sort of stuff…good on him). And I was right:
Flossie's pages contain smile, dental and Tooth Fairy related graphics, clip art, pictures, animations, art & drawings that you may use in your school reports, non-commercial web pages, etc. I hope you brush & floss your teeth at least twice every day. A pretty smile always lends a hand in making friends.
“Flossie” is also a 1974-vintage movie. And not a particularly good one if you believe IMDB’s user ratings. Other than that? Not a lot…aside from a British knitting blogger (Becky).
One final thought on hurricanes (for the moment): I’d LOVE to see a Hurricane Cruella. Just sayin’.
Ron Rosenbaum, writing in Slate, takes it to The Academy, in the form of one professor Stanley Fish:
It was Aug. 5, and professor Stanley Fish, the famous postmodernist and "guest columnist" for the New York Times, had some breaking news to expound upon in an op-ed piece. He had discovered a new development in American culture that deserved the kind of exegesis only he could deliver: the appearance of a new kind of coffee place.
Have you heard about these new coffee places? Professor Fish's column made it seem as though they had never been noticed or discussed before.
"Getting Coffee Is Hard To Do" was the title of his essay, which in its self-satisfied cluelessness may just qualify as the worst op-ed ever written.
“New kind of coffee place?” Now that’s right up my alley! Oh, wait…Starbucks. Starbucks? WTF?
Today’s Pic: OK…it’s NOT a photo. But it is kinda cute. SN3 demonstrating American Idol potential, of a sort.
Somewhere in Colorado. February, 2000. (He was almost three.)

8 comments:

  1. LOL! I loved that video! He is too cute!

    I agree with you about naming a hurricane Flossie. The name makes me think of a big cow. A milk cow. I do remember as a teenager when they first started giving hurricanes/tropical storms male names. The very first one was named Bob. I told my mom, "I don't know. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get intimidated by a hurricane named Bob."

    Not that there's anything wrong with the name Bob. It just makes me think of someone very gentle and caring--like Captain Kangaroo. Wasn't his real name Bob?

    Thanks for the link to the British knitter. We knitters all love to oogle each other's works. And she's got some nice landscape pics there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what was DS trying to sing? LOL!

    Flossie. I think of a milk cow. Yeah, can't be intimitaded by that. OTOH, Joe is enjoying some nice scenery. I'd love to go to Hawaii someday.

    Of course, Erin is making her way towards land I suppose, down in Texas. Hubby and I hope she get a big bigger and hits, that way we can get some rain. Difference between farmers and coastal folks: we like the hurricanes. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Just watched the video...twice. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video is cute! Did you teach him that?

    There is an older ladie in our church named Flossie - so I think about her when I hear about the hurricane. She is very fragile. There is also a friend of my father's whose name is actually Ralph, but everyone calls him Flossie - don't know why. Flossie does not remind me of cows, but Elsie does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments, all y'all.

    Becky: I immediately thought of you when I found Flossie The Knitter. Can't say you haven't affected my outlook on life, now, can you? And yeah, I suppose Hurricane Bob wouldn't excite one all that much, unless you lived on the coast...

    Which brings us to... what about if you're a farmer AND you live on the Gulf Coast, Jenny? ;-)

    Jenny and Lou: I have NO idea what Bobby is singing. The vid arrived via e-mail from TSMP with no explanation, as was always the case back in the day when I used to receive such things. The well's gone dry these last few years. No pics, no vids. Lately. Like two years, lately.

    And finally: "Flossie" reminded me of nothing at all, save the random thought I had about a cartoon character.

    Oh...Lou. In keeping with the theme of your post today, I thought I'd get at least one comment on my "Hurricane Cruella" observation. But: nothing. Nada. Zilch. As a good friend of mne liked to say, in the way-back: "Sometimes it bees that way..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about the "Cruella" hurricane - very clever. My first thought was that it sounds a lot like Lou Ella only crueler. It would make a great hurricane name for a particulary vicious storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a friend, a Navy chief who used to say, "It bees that way sometimes."

    The hurricane Cruella thing was something I just didn't know what to say about it. I suppose, though, that when you think about it, the next storm could be named De Ville.

    I did live pretty much on the coast when Bob came through. I was still young enough then that I only saw the excitement and not the potential danger of hurricanes. I know better now.

    I just hope I've affected your outlook in life in a positive way. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou said: It would make a great hurricane name for a particulary vicious storm.

    Ah, but hurricanes are like snow...you never know how much you're gonna get or how long they're gonna last. You name 'em before they hit. So the name "Cruella" (if used) could be either a real monster storm... or a pussy cat.

    Becky said: I just hope I've affected your outlook in life in a positive way. :p

    But, of COURSE! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.