Friday, July 13, 2007

Stranger than Fiction

Here’s the strangest story I’ve read in a looong time, in today’s WaPo:

A grand feast of marinated steaks and jumbo shrimp was winding down, and a group of friends was sitting on the back patio of a Capitol Hill home, sipping red wine. Suddenly, a hooded man slid in through an open gate and put the barrel of a handgun to the head of a 14-year-old guest.

"Give me your money, or I'll start shooting," he demanded, according to D.C. police and witness accounts.

The five other guests, including the girls' parents, froze -- and then one spoke.

"We were just finishing dinner," Cristina "Cha Cha" Rowan, 43, blurted out. "Why don't you have a glass of wine with us?"

The intruder took a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry and said, "Damn, that's good wine."

You just have to read the rest. I’d say (a) the dinner party guests were extremely fortunate and (b) I’m gonna go looking for some Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry. That’s gotta be great wine.

5 comments:

  1. Incredible...in the truest sense of the word.

    Group hug? YGBSM!

    Maybe we should hug some radical muslim extremists...maybe they'll leave us alone, abandon the 100 year plan for our destruction and go along their merry way...OOPS...forgot...they wouldn't drink the requisite wine. Damn...foiled again!

    SN1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said...I wanna find some of that wine! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Are you frickin' kidding me!? That poor girl is probably traumatized and they are giving the guy hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange story indeed, but far from a useless one.

    Here's a link. As a BevMo member, I'm a little frustrated I can't find it in their franchise. I'm going to call up the manager of my favorite outlet today...no telling when I might be holding a party and find myself face-to-face to with a hooded gunman.

    Thanks for running this, I'd never have found out about it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interestingly enough, CNN ran a "human interest" segment on this story last night. The WaPo got it right; there were no discrepancies or disparities between the WaPo story and the CNN piece.

    That's some pretty pricey wine, ain't it, Morgan? I won't be able to find it here in Portales, but there are good distributors in ABQ and Amarillo...maybe I can order a bottle or two there. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.