Friday, December 08, 2006

Vote! And Other Mundane Ramblings...


Ah…so it’s come to this? Advertisements and testimonials on this blog? Well, sure! There have always been testimonials on this blog! If and when I find a good thing, be it an article, editorial, advertisements to like/avoid, or various and sundry other good things, don’t I tell you? So when I encourage you to get over to the 2006 Weblog Awards site and vote…it’s only natural. Two of my daily reads are finalists: Lex and Lileks. Lex needs your help, as you can see. Mr. Lileks, on the other hand, has a huge lead in his category, as of this hour. But only until the moonbats find out there’s an election going on, at which time they’ll mobilize the dead, bring out the absentee and provisional ballots, and whine about how the poor were disenfranchised by the “digital divide” when Greenwald loses. But as for now? They’re a little bit slow on the uptake, ya know.

Vote early, vote often daily!

I’m oh-so-tempted to weigh in on the Iraq Study Group’s report…but I won’t. Not yet, anyway. Mssrs Baker and Hamilton have been busy as all get out, making all the rounds. I saw them on C-SPAN testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee, saw them on PBS’ The News Hour, saw them on Special Report w/Brit Hume…yadda, yadda. And that was just on Wednesday. Other ISG members are making the rounds, too, e.g., I saw Sandra O’Connor and Vernon Jordan on The News Hour last evening. This whole ISG thing is getting one of the hardest “pushes” I’ve seen in a long, long time. Talk about pressure on the administration! Poor Tony Snow is beginning to look a bit “aged,” doncha think? (video at the link)

Very few people seem to remember the Joint Chiefs have a similar report coming, as does the National Security establishment. I’m thinking reasonable and rational folks will wait until all the evidence is in before pontificating. Reason and rationality are in short supply these days, however.

Here’s another one of those spiffy quiz thingies, courtesy of Mike:

What American accent do you have?

Umm…I beg to differ, and I’m pretty sure SN1 and SN2 will back me up on this. Some of my usage is Suthern, ma’am, but accent? Not frickin’ hardly! The code provided by the quiz site to display your results is pretty useless (the bars don’t get filled), other than providing a link to the quiz. So I cut and pasted the graphic results from the quiz, just to show what they say are my linguistic characteristics. Which, I suppose, all goes to prove that determining an accent using questions about how one pronounces certain words is…uh…useless. YMMV, of course.

It was pretty danged cold here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington yesterday. Our high was only 39 vs an average high of 53 for the date. And it was windy, as usual, making it seem quite a bit cooler than it actually was. Today is supposed to be a bit better: the forecasted high is 52. We’re colder, earlier this year. So much for global warming climate change. But, as always…it could be worse, and it is worse in some of my old stomping grounds, like Detroit, Williston, ND, and Rochester. With snow!

Today’s Pic: Another Prague pic, but I doubt if Lou will paint this one! Just a billboard that caught my eye whilst I was strolling about the city. Those Euro-weenies certainly have a different sort of take on advertising, eh? And I like it… June, 1999.

9 comments:

  1. Regarding the weblog awards, here are a few others that are getting my vote:

    Castle Argghhh! in Best of the top 250
    Soldiers' Angel Holly Aho in 1001-1750
    From My Position (Ziegenfuss of Valour-IT fame) in 1751-2500

    In the Milblog category, well that is too tough to call because I read several of those regularly and most all are huge supporters of Soldiers' Angels. I wanna vote for them all! :(

    And, I'll have you know, it is simply a beautiful early winter day in Rochester ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took that accent test and I agree with you. It was pretty far off for me as well. It said I had a midland accent, though save for my time in the military, I've never lived anywhere but the South. I disagreed so much, I didn't even post my results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My accent test I think is accurate:
    Your Result: The Inland North

    You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

    Except I've never been asked if I'm from WI or Chicago. But then I don't get away from the Great Lakes region too often ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I forgot, my vote in best new blog is going to Jules Crittenden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the accent test. It said I was 40% perfect as a girlfriend. I was a little disappointed. Maybe I should say Mary, merry, and marry differently.

    "This whole ISG thing is getting one of the hardest “pushes” I’ve seen in a long, long time." - I had not thought about this, but you are right. It is getting lots of air-time.

    Got to go vote now. Maybe I will paint a nude for your Christmas card - "Nude in Prague" has a nice sound to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie: Yeah, the voting thing can be tough. I agree with you on Crittenden...I read him the first time when he popped up on memeorandum last month, something he wrote about Jean Francois Kerri's "joke" about the troops, IIRC. Hey: pop is pop, no?

    Becky: Agreed...and I've pictured you with a southern accent!

    Lou: You really made me smile with your "Nude in Prague" comment...first thing!! What's with that "...40% perfect as a girlfriend."??? I never chose girlfriends based on their accents... maybe I should have, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lou...further to your "Nude in Prague" idea...

    If, by chance, you actually DO this...Just keep ONE word in mind:

    zaftig
    Pronunciation[zahf-tik, -tig]
    –adjective Slang.

    1. (of a woman) having a pleasantly plump figure.
    2. full-bodied; well-proportioned.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. zaftig seems to be similar to the Russian word popravitsya, which is a compliment to a woman on her healthy plumpness. In a land of historical famines, I suppose I can understand this outlook - and the older I get, the more I appreciate this kinder view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never could get the quiz to give me the right score on the accent quiz. When I told Toby that I scored "40% perfect girlfriend", he asked if I had been talking like Mae West again. Speaking of Mae West - now there was zaftig or popravitsya.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.