Sunday, December 10, 2006

Pious. No, Excuse Me! I Meant Prius...

I fell asleep last evening as I usually do: watching the Tee Vee. I had never allowed a television in my sleeping quarters, ever, until I moved into El Casa Móvil De Pennington. As a matter of fact, there was an extended period in my life, from around 1973 until 1980, when I didn’t own a Tee Vee at all, let alone have one in the bedroom. But that was then, this is now. Now you know one of my more embarrassing little secrets. And I digress, of course.

The Tee Vee was tuned to C-SPAN2 last evening and I fell asleep watching some nerdy type give a dissertation on the brilliance of General Sherman’s Civil War strategy. A dose of Ambien or Lunesta couldn’t have put me to sleep faster. But there’s a downside to falling asleep with the Tee Vee on: you wake up with the damned thing on, too. And sometimes you wake up —this is especially true when watching C-SPAN2 on the weekends— to raving freakin’ moonbats. And such was the case this morning. A woman by the name of Eve Ensler was going on about the wonderfulness of her life-long journey of self-discovery and the most-important lessons that all the rest of us, especially if we happen to be womyn, should learn from her experience. I immediately changed the channel and set about making the coffee and doing all that other stuff I do upon awakening.

I sat down at my desk as the coffee was brewing and absentmindedly thought “Who is Eve Ensler, anyway? The name sounds familiar…I should know her.” So I googled her. Oh, yeah. That Eve Ensler, she of “Vagina Monologues” fame. Founder of V-Day, and blogger at HuffPo. Suspicions confirmed: Moonbat, First Degree. I followed one of the google links to her HuffPo blog and saw the little pic above. I clicked it, being as how it looked more interesting than Ensler’s ravings. And I laughed, coz here’s what I saw…

First, there’s Arianna herownself, going on about how it’s patriotic to drive a Japanese car, with no sense of irony at all.

Then there’s Nora Ephron and Bill (ptui!) Maher, the former who says she doesn’t really need a car (she lives on Manhattan's Upper West Side, after all) yet she bought one, anyway; and the latter who informs us in only 20 words that driving a Toyota is all about self-preservation.


And finally, Larry David makes the only honest statement on the page, although I’m certain it’s an attempt at humor:

Or a tip o’ the hat to that wonderful South Park episode on the subject: Smug Alert.

At any rate, it’s just all too, too precious, ain’t it? The whole “limousine liberal” meme is pretty tired, and most everything that should have been said on the subject has already been said at least a hundred times. Still and even, it just makes me laugh. If I were in the same financial boat as Arianna or Maher, I’d own one of these:


A rompin’, stompin’ 500-hp M5. Screw a whole bunch of Priuses Piouses.

Note: Sorry about the formatting on the original version of this post. I worked on the post for 30 freakin' minutes and just couldn't get it right. I went back and edited, again, removing the left and right justifications on the graphics and just placed 'em dead center. That works better. There are... uh ... certain limitations to Blogger's formatting ability. And my skills in accomplishing same, obviously.

3 comments:

  1. THAAAAAANKSS!!!!

    GOOD FOR YOU!

    "I'll have one empty glass"...bwwwwwpppttttt...*sniiiiiff*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed the past few days; sailing, watching shuttles, drinking and all that.

    Why does it seem disengenuous when a fabulously wealthy person, owns a private jet, feels atonement when buying a stupid underpowered hybrid?

    My next car shall be a Hemi. Or the souped up Cadillac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, DC...life sure is hard, ain't it? ;-)

    When you say "souped up Cadillac," do you mean the STS-V? I have a buddy in Dee-troit who designed the supercharger application on this car, getting two patents in the process. And he did a couple of trips to the Nurburgring for testing, too. I'm rarely envious of my friends, but in this case...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.