Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Unmotivated

I’m fresh out of motivation to link and comment on the news. Again. So, here’s a short collection of Random Notes …

“My Lil Reminder” is the top EIP search term of late, what with seven hits in the four days since I posted my mini-rant about same. No comments, though, so I don’t know if the googlers are of like mind or not. The ad is still running, and it’s still as dumb as a box of rocks.

Speaking of ads…Haggar, a men’s clothing manufacturer, has a new series of ads out that are…uh… disconcerting. I’ve seen two of ‘em on ESPN and I’m not impressed. Here’s a quote from AdJab:
I'm not even sure what to do with this new ad series from Crispen Porter and Bogusky for Haggar clothing. It's obviously an appeal to middle-aged suburban men, but specifically a sub-set of that group made up of men who enjoy torturing their children, are mildly misogynistic and enjoy half-naked wrestling with their neighbors. I honestly think CP&B may have lost focus here. The point of advertising is to sell the product, not just to create funny commercials. That's why these ads fail on both levels.

The ad titled “dog crap” is just that: explicit, graphic footage of some jerk letting his dog crap on someone’s lawn, followed by the ad's protagonists acting out a retribution fantasy. There’s not a suburban homeowner in the world that hasn’t had a similar fantasy, yet still… I found that ad offensive, on more than one level. Another ad, “stereo” is also a retribution fantasy. The series of four ads have the recurring theme of “making things right.” You can view all of them here. The ads just don’t work. Not at all. This might be a new low in American advertising.

It’s a short week, leading up to the feast of gluttony (and I use the term lovingly, not disparagingly), as all y’all are aware. Becky is celebrating by treating us to a few of her favorite recipes, doling them out on a one-per-day basis. I strongly suspect Becky is one of those women near and dear to my heart: a Southern cook...and most likely a great Southern cook, from the look of things. As was my Mom. Becky is a Mississippian, not all that far (geographically speaking) from Georgia, which is where Mom was born and raised. Once again, I’m speculating the influences and styles are quite similar. Reading Becky’s recipes makes my mouth water, and summons up memories of Mom’s cooking.
It would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions to say Mom was a “good” cook. She was a great cook, beginning with a solid foundation of old-time southern cooking learned at her grandmother’s knee in an age when there were no frozen foods, no fast food, and no microwaves. But Mom went quite a bit further, adding culinary influences and techniques to her cooking that were gathered during a lifetime of being dragged around the world. She simply got better and better as time went on and we moved from place to place to place.

Imagine, if you will, the unlikely combination of Southern-fried cooking, infused with touches of classic French cuisine, complimented by a side of Tex-Mex, and topped off with a perfect crème brûlée or flaky, honey-soaked and pistachio-laden baklava for dessert. And the baklava had perfect filo pastry that was hand-made, not bought. You can’t imagine it, I’m sure. You just had to be there. Mom sure spoiled me when it comes to other women and their cooking. It’s a given that Mom is the gold standard of most everyone’s cooking, but mine was the real deal.

9 comments:

  1. Deep fried turkey is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan said: Deep fried turkey is good.

    Damn, but it it EVER!!! One of the finest Thanksgivings of my life, Dan. Ever. I owe ya, BIG TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, thanks Buck. Just for the record, I was born and raised in Texas, and didn't move here until I got out of the Navy. Funny thing is, my mother was NOT a good cook. Moreover, we weren't even allowed in the kitchen when I was growing up. I didn't learn to cook until I was in my 20's, but I just seem to have the knack for it.

    Change of subject, Cody and I were in Wal-mart today and I saw a Notre Dame cap. I thought about buying it and sending it to you. It is the thought that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Crème brûlée" you say. Actually you said "Imagine... Tex-Mex... topped off with a perfect crème brûlée...." I hereby retract any negative criticism of your typing skills, sir, and compliment your mother's cullinary imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've seen any of the commercials you have been talking about. I kind of zone out during commercials and don't pay attention. I'll see a really funny one numerous times before I go...hey that is really funny, and my son says you've seen it about a zillion times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got our turkey today. We went to the market and got all of the things we needed, got home and said, "Gosh darn it! We forgot the turkey!" My husband was nice enough to hurry down to the market and get the last one of the brand we like best: Jennie-O. I've never tried deep fried turkey, though.

    Buck, speaking to you feeling unmotivated, here's a link you and the others might find interesting. I dashed over to the ME blogs and ran across Mary Madigan via Big Pharoah to Michael Totten.
    Discussions about Middle East politics remind me of a bit from a comic, Pearls Before Swine. One of the characters is a Zebra, who can't understand why the lions keep eating his fellow Zebras. So, he writes a letter to the lions filled with philosophical questions about peace, understanding and the nature of being, asking why can't they all get along, why can't they be friends..
    The answer comes back from the lions "we eat Zebras becuz you taste gud."


    I just finished a story my boss wanted me to do on Will Rogers and here's one of his quotes I absolutely love:
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

    Now I'm going back to thinking about Thanksgiving. And SN2's birthday next week. And the fact that we have an International Arts Exchange group from 7 countries coming for a 5-day workshop. And that my husband's winter show has started. And... Doug's dad died last week :(

    One of the things for which I'm grateful this Thanksgiving is that I met all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something to give you a chuckle - compliments of SN1's favorite comic:
    Buster Keaton in Sherlock Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buck , Thanks for the tip on Becky's blog site! Great site!

    I love this time of year! Of course it involves two of my favorite pastimes, eating mass quanities of food and watching mass quanities of football!! We'll even head out Friday night and catch a local high school play-off game!!

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky said: It is the thought that counts, right?
    Absolutely! Strangely enough, all my ND paraphenalia has long since worn out and been thrown out. I have no intentions of replacing it, for reasons best left unsaid.

    Reese said: I hereby retract any negative criticism of your typing skills, sir, and compliment your mother's cullinary imagination.
    Thanks for the thought, Reese, but it ain't my typing skills: the diacritical marks are courtesy of Bill Gates and his wondrous Word program, which I use to compose my posts.
    And just for the record, I didn't mean to imply Mom would feature all that stuff in one meal, just that she was quite good at those various cuisines.

    Bec: Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. My condolences and symapthies. It's tough to lose a loved one at any point in life, doubly so during the holidays. I hope you and Doug are doing as well as can be.

    As always, thanks for the great links..especially the Keaton clip! Ain't You-Tube great? And wow...you sure are busy!!

    Dale: ...eating mass quanities of food and watching mass quanities of football!!
    Ab-so-freakin'-lutely!!!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.