Saturday, November 11, 2006

Valour IT

It’s that time of year. What with Veteran’s Day approaching—less than two weeks away—there’s NO better way to show your support for the troops than a donation to Project Valour IT. As with last year, the annual fundraiser is divided into four teams…just for fun and to keep that ol’ inter-service rivalry alive. Here are the blogs that serve as “Team Leads” for the four services: Air Force, Grunts, Jarheads and Squids. All worthy standard bearers.

The real message is give. And since you’re gonna give, why not make the Air Force the winning team this year? Hit that donation button on the sidebar and Cross into the Blue!!

Update 10/30/2006, 1230 hrs.: This is a "sticky post," i.e., it stays on top until 11/11/2006. Scroll down for regularly-scheduled blog updates.

Update 11/08/2006: Laurie over at Soldiers' Angels New York has some USAF Thunderbirds memorabilia up for auction, including a very cool "remove before flight" key chain. Anyone who has ever been on a flight line has seen those safety-keyed streamers hanging from ordnance and other places on fighters. Now you can have one for your very own...if you hurry up and bid!!




Here's the eBay site for the Thunderbirds stuff... What? You're still here? Go Bid!

Update, 11/11/2006 0750 hrs: Auction's closed...Laurie made $102.50 for the team. And that was her personal stuff, by the way, obtained during a visit to Nellis AFB on her recent Vegas trip. "Above and beyond," I'd say.

19 comments:

  1. Now, now. Since Veteran's Day is also my birthday, I think everyone should pitch in to make NAVY the winning team. Heck, since we can't seem to win at football, at least we can win at something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all due respect, Becky, we who wear/wore AIR FORCE Blue aren't responsible for your bad choices in life, to wit: signing on with the Navy. You're not alone, though. Hell, one of my favorite people made the same bad choice, and what's worse, he stayed with it! (SN2, if that's not clear.)

    No quarter, Girl. GO AIR FORCE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say Buck. Navy's behind. I've got to get onboard with Becky and GO NAVY!
    Bec :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bec said: I've got to get onboard with Becky and GO NAVY!

    Oh, NO! Is there no end to this Squidly-ness? :-)

    Navy isn't simply behind, they're DEAD last, as of this writing. Even their infantry subsidiary is beating them... Ignominy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I actually considered the Air Force, but decided I wanted to join the real military.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky said: You know, I actually considered the Air Force, but decided I wanted to join the real military.

    You were in the Marines? I always thought you were in the NAVY! ::sly grin::

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marines? Where? ;) Marines birthday coming up quick, good excuse to go visit the recruiter's office and the reserve center for a Marine fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. uh, Marines are DON. So technically, they're NAVY too.

    Besides that, I was married to a Marine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. uh, Marines are DON. So technically, they're NAVY too.

    Technically. But I wouldn't attempt to convince a Marine of that fact. NOT a good idea. Not at ALL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I have a good post brewing in my head this morning, and blogger has not worked for me... Right pain in the tucchas, it is. Damn. But the posting problem does not seem to extend to comments, because I have been able to post comments on people blogs. I hope they fix it soon, because time's a wastin'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie said: Well, I have a good post brewing in my head this morning, and blogger has not worked for me... Right pain in the tucchas, it is.

    I haven't even thought about posting yet, seein' as how I've only been up for 25 minutes... One thing I have noticed, tho, is beta-blogger seems to have less difficulties than run-of-the-mill blogger. Consider switching! But you have all those hacks you'd have to re-do, dontcha? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Army is still in the lead, as of this writing... But the USAFA handed Army its a$$ (43-7) in another competitive area last evening, i.e., football.

    And don't start, Becky. It's too bad about the Navy game, eh? Were it not for the fact the Falcons snatched defeat from the jaws of victory we would have owned the CiC Trophy this year...

    But we can still win the Valour-IT competition! Go USAF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adding in the hacks is all part of the fun. So I think I'll pass on the beta for now. What I really want is my very own server so I can do whatever I want ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh, Buck, I don't even watch Navy football. It's too heartwrenching. I did watch Miss St. beat the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa--of all things. It was the bulldogs first road win in 6 years. Then I watched a few minutes of ND running away from UNC, and later I caught the last quarter of the LSU-Tennesee game. Talk about a squeaker! Game winning touchdown with 5 seconds on the clock. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, we're still in second place as of this writing. The Ground-pounders have slipped to third, being just $20.00 behind us, while the Jarheads, despite having a smaller team, have surged into the lead by a comfortable $2,000+.

    Hit that donation button like the Democrats vote: early and often!

    Becky: I watched the Tenn - LSU game, too. I had no dog in that fight, but it was the best game of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm wondering where our team leader is now that we're getting our butts whomped. We need to rally.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Auction brought in $102.50!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laurie said: Auction brought in $102.50!!!

    Ya done GOOD, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.