Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Life is Good!

Yesterday was a computer-free day, pretty much. I broke one of my primary rules, to wit: if you’re gonna blog, blog. Post every day. And I didn’t post. {sigh} What’s that they say? Rules are made to be broken?

Yesterday wasn’t all that good, weather-wise. It rained nearly all day, so that put a damper on most (but not all) outdoor activities. I used the day to check off a few items on my “big city” list…mostly (all) shopping related. I have a new watch band, several new tee shirts and a small supply of fine Partagas cigars, because I stumbled upon a great tobacconist with a well-stocked humidor room. Very friendly folks there, too. I spent about an hour there, chatting about cigars and other cultural stuff with the shop owner and his very lovely assistant. I also got my Zippo tuned up, which is a rather long story I won’t go into in great detail. Suffice to say the lighter works first time, every time, now. It didn’t used to…

The lovely assistant at the tobacconists also gave me a tip I’ll pass along to smokers who may be accosted by the TSA, such as I was this past June. If you are carrying a treasured Zippo (sound familiar?), don’t surrender the entire lighter…simply remove the lighter’s guts (which can be easily replaced by writing to Zippo) and hand them over to that friendly gub’mint agent, keeping the case for yourself. Simple solution, and I’ll admit I’m terribly embarrassed that the thought didn’t occur to me at the time.

So…time to hit the shower and get my day going.

Today’s agenda: coffee at Starbuck’s and the WSJ, followed with a trip across the street to the Alamo. Lunch somewhere and lotsa people watching. Life is good…

Today’s Pic: The gas fountain at Pat O’Brien’s, which mesmerized me. I have at least ten pics of this fountain. I took this one last evening.

3 comments:

  1. You're on vacation! That's a good enough excuse to miss a day. Besides, it's not like you're one of those bloggers who only post once a month or so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having fun even with the rain. Great pics! I know you are drinking beer, but what are you eating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Becky...it's good to receive validation!
    :-)

    Lou said: I know you are drinking beer, but what are you eating?

    Red meat! (LOL!) Lotsa BBQ, for starters, and then I was tipped to this great German deli, and room service pizza one night. I'll do the Tex-Mex thing today, probably for lunch. Buck has functions to attend every night, so I've been largely on my own.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.