Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Similarities...

or, "Why I read Lileks, Part XXV:"
If I really ran a political site I would end up disappointing everyone, since I am a mess of superficially contradictory opinions (hands off regulating cable because of adult content; stop marking slut dolls to my little girl) and old-style liberal notions, like the primacy of individuality over race. I have zero objections to homosexuality but balk at redefining marriage. I recycle and abjure waste and live light as possible and dislike Hummers but I’m unimpressed by environmental scaremongering. I believe women are the intellectual equal of men but emotionally and psychologically different. (I don’t want to outweigh the firefighter who attempts to carry me down the steps, and I don’t want a 37-year old man leading my daughter’s Girl Scout troop. No Harvard jobs for me!) I would rather hang out with Iggy Pop than Frank Sinatra. I love the 50s but, if I lived there as a 20-something I'd be the sort of person who annoys me now, railing against the very symbols of artifice I prize today. I hate the 60s, but know full well I would have been a pretentious stoner antiestablishment wannabee until the pose cost me money. I think light rail is a money pit sinkhole beloved by New Urbanists, but support public subsidies of large-scale bus systems to move inner-city people to wherever the jobs may be. I dearly love the inner city but don’t care if people move to the burbs for nice houses and good schools. (I support the public schools. I support school choice.) For that matter I support the New Urbanists, except when they get high-mindedly pissy about people’s free choices. I believe in God, but I’m not throwing away my Coop books because he had a hot time at a Black Mass. I can’t stand everything Islamicists stand for, despair of the tide that seems to swamp a religion for which I have, despite my efforts, no empathetic connection whatsoever, but I celebrate the first Muslim in space. I dislike most TV, most modern music, and most movies, but love the big messy hot throbbing blob of Western pop culture, partly because I connect with part of it like a dog biting on a live wire, and partly because the loud rude crass mess spells freedom, and that is the root word at the heart of the American experiment. We can always learn ! from others, but they’ve much to learn from us. Unless they have a 200+ year track record of expanding rights and unimaginable prosperity as well. Did I forget to mention, forget to mention Memphis? Home of Elvis and the ancient Greeks?
What he said. The similarities are amazing. Well, except for the Sinatra/Iggy Pop thing. I suppose this makes both James and I Libertarians, but who's labeling?

6 comments:

  1. Sir,

    I want to hang out with neither Iggy Pop nor Franky. Other than that... Maybe Terri Nunn or Linda Ronstadt if we promise to not talk politics.

    Reese

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to hang out with Buck and Ed. Too many years have passed and I miss the geat? conversations we had. I'm lucky that Ed still lives here and we get to play poker a couple of times a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan: Our conversations may not have been great, but they were entertaining... MOST entertaining!

    :-)

    And time grows short...

    Reese: Linda used to be a MAJOR Lust Object of mine, once upon a time. Back in '78, shortly after "Living in the USA" came out, my Roomie and I were sitting around listening to the album, playing "Ooh Baby, Baby" over and over again while getting progressively and seriously inebriated. Said Roomie had the bright idea that we should give her a call and tell her how much we loved her. After many unsuccessful and somewhat amusing conversations with various LA area directory assistance operators(to us, anyway; less so for the operators, I'm sure), we gave up and went to bed. You may read "went to bed" as "passed out," if you so desire...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entertaining can be considered as great, Especially when you consider the condition we were usually in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Major lust object indeed. Ronstadt's disembodied voice was enough to give me... a warm feeling. Sure, I knew her hits in the seventies, but I really started liking her when I bought one of her big band Nelson Riddle tapes while stuck in Diego Garcia for a week ca. 1986. (Not a lot of variety available at the Exchange on Diego Garcia back then.)

    I liked her so much (she's pretty too) that I eventually bought much more, including Stone Poneys vinyls.

    Lately she's been talking politics, though. Makes me sad. Free speech and all, fine. But please, Linda, "Shut up and sing!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reese says: Lately she's been talking politics, though. Makes me sad. Free speech and all, fine. But please, Linda, "Shut up and sing!"

    What you said!!! In SPADES!

    (verification word: "mmgukq," or the sound Linda would make when I grabbed her by the throat when she starts a Dubya rant...)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.