Wednesday, August 02, 2006

No Rest for the Wicked

I was going to give it a rest today, “it” being politics in general and the Hezbollah War specifically. That was until I read Gerard’s essay of July 31st. Here’s a teaser:

After all, who among us is not moved by endless images of dead babies sheathed in blood, body parts hanging by a shred of gristle, with the blank stare of eternity glazing their eyes? What "civilized" person secure in their happy world of languid summer days, mall festivals brimming with second-rate food and third rate crafts, concerts on the lawn with wine and traveling minstrels, could not want this distant tribal slaughter to stop, stop, stop this very instant?

To see the Bloody Shirt, as the Hezbollah in Lebanon drag their children from the rubble and parade them before the world, is to want all replaced with the Rainbow Flag immediately -- no matter who must suffer, no matter how many Jews must die in that distant country where, "After all the Israelis aren't so much Jewish as they are Zionist oppressors who, if they just gave up a little more, would be left in peace. I mean, look at that. Children are dying every minute there. Have you no compassion, sir? Have you, at long last, no compassion?"

Have I no compassion?

That was a fair question the first time it was posed to me, oh, several decades back. I think I had a lot of compassion back then. I must have had oodles. I must have been soaking in it. At least that's what I conclude when I read the things I wrote and remember the things I did. For awhile, every cause on Earth, every injustice from Cape Horn to Belfast called upon my bottomless well of compassion. The church burnings and bombings in the South during the Civil Rights struggle. The napalmed girl on the road in Vietnam. The carnage of apartheid. And, of course, the 50 years of ceaseless exposure of their dead by the Palestinians.

Powerful and highly unusual stuff. You don’t read this sort of op-ed every day, in fact, I’d venture to say you’ve never read anything like it.

No cease-fire. The war continues until every last one of them is DEAD! And it’s NOT what you might think. Oh no, this is better! (via Feisty)

One of the many reasons I like James Lileks is the sheer quality of the man’s writing. Here are a couple of examples from today’s Bleat. On Raymond Burr:

Man, Bunny could be nine feet of stones, no? He made a great heavy, and for those of us who grew up with him as (trademark quick intake of breath) Perry Mason, seeing him in bad-guy roles is always a treat. The Wikipedia entry says he had a relationship with Natalie Wood, which surprised many people, due to his homosexuality. Really? He was gay, not stupid. If she made a move on him, he probably realized he was obliged to respond – if not for himself, than on behalf of all men. If he’d turned her down, and told the story at the gayest party in Gaytown in the state of West Gayginia in the nation of Gaydonia on the planet Gay, everyone would fall silent, and someone would say you turned down Natalie Wood? What is wrong with you?

On Jane Russell:

Jane Russell. Born in Minnesota of North Dakota parents: that’s my gal. In her “Outlaw” period she was the reason the Society for the Incoherent Reactions to Bosoms added the second “Hubba.”

LitCrit is as far removed from my core competencies as astrophysics, which is to say I have neither the formal training nor the professional standing to be considered a “qualified” writing critic. But, when it comes to good writing I’m like Justice Potter Stewart — I know it when I see it. I feel most of us are in that same boat.

So. I was going to launch into a “what IS good writing, anyway?” type of post but got distracted while making my rounds. I’ll save that for another day, just as I’ve saved so many other things “for another day” and have yet to get around to actually doing it. I am SO lacking in discipline…

Was it something I said? Or didn’t say? As of 0930 this morning I’ve had exactly two visits. I know Blogger isn’t down coz I’ve made my usual rounds and more than a few of my daily reads are hosted on Blogger. I’m hurt. Hurt, I tell you!

/attempt at sardonic wit

10 comments:

  1. I check to see if you've gotten up yet every morning. I should know better but I do it anyway. I forget that you are a man of leisure. Imight add that I will be one also, maybe the first of the year. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buck,
    Great links. Gerard spoke for me, too.
    My youngest son's friend is visiting from Canada so we've been doing some running around lately. (She bicycled all the way from BC, just under the Alaska panhandle where she lives, to the Oregon border.)
    Haven't watched any TV all week but I have been checking your blog - usually when I'm supposed to be working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan: Pull the trigger! DO it! We've had this discussion before, ya know! There's much to be said about leisure, especially after a life of hard work. Making the break ain't easy, but the rewards are worth it!

    :-)

    Bec: "She bicycled all the way from BC, just under the Alaska panhandle where she lives, to the Oregon border."

    Wow. I'm impressed, seriously impressed! I've ridden my bike that distance, too, but I didn't pedal the thing!

    One thing I didn't consider when I published my self-pitying comment is Site Meter might have been having "issues." Now that I think about it, several blogs I read had interminable "transferring data from SiteMeter" messages in Firefox's info bar as I read. Traffic is light in the middle of the night, but I always get four or five random google hits in during that period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my usual rounds this morning, found it was still to early to find a new post and so here I am again. :)

    Scanner is getting a workout today, so I'll do the rounds 2 or 3 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, buck, you provide some great links. Gerard's post is something that should be read by everyone. On a much lighter note, I enjoyed "No Cease Fire". You know me, I can take the heavy stuff, but I like a little humor and sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually hit you every morning before work, but I don't think I did. My connection was still wonky, and I got frustrated. Not a good way to start the day.

    I loved Cease Fire. Thanks for that great link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had you heard about this? One of the strangest things I've heard in quite a while.

    "...discovery of an ancient book of psalms by a construction worker while driving the shovel of his backhoe into a bog.
    The book was found open to a page describing, in Latin script, Psalm 83, in which God hears complaints of other nations' attempts to wipe out the name of Israel."
    Medieval book of psalms unearthed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bec sez: Had you heard about this? One of the strangest things I've heard in quite a while.

    No, I hadn't heard, and thanks for the link. It's strange, indeed, that the manuscript was open to that particular psalm. I'm not one who believes in "signs," generally, but this is pretty remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Laurie...how did the reunion go, btw?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reunion hasn't happened yet :) Hair is done, nails are done, I took out my outfit that I think I'm wearing for Saturday night. Taking Friday off to go get some things we'll need for the picnic on Sunday and whatever other last minute things I need to do.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.