Friday, August 18, 2006

Judicial Activism, Boomers, and More Prattle

Today’s Big Story, of course, is the NSA electronic surveillance program is unconstitutional and violates your civil rights, according to Judge Anna Diggs Taylor. Judge Taylor found for the usual suspects plaintiffs, described by the WSJ as “a group that includes the ACLU and assorted academics, lawyers and journalists who believe their conversations may have been tapped but almost surely weren't.” I believe that’s a fair and accurate description of the plaintiffs, who did a fine job of judge shopping. Big news today, but Judge Taylor will almost certainly be overturned by the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. The NSA program will continue to operate under a stay until the government’s appeal is heard.

For what it’s worth (and it’s not worth a whole helluva lot), the New York Times’ entirely predictable op-ed on the subject, replete with terms like “lawless administration” and “scathing condemnation,” is here. The WaPo writes that Judge Taylor’s decision is “is neither careful nor scholarly, and it is hard-hitting only in the sense that a bludgeon is hard-hitting.” In other words, the decision is full of sound and fury but lacks judicial substance. Judge for yourself: the entire 44 page opinion is here, in pdf format.

In a rather interesting coincidence (to me, at least), I happened to stumble on to a couple of Boomer-oriented TV programs yesterday. The first, and better of the two, was a five minute or so segment on BBC World (News) about British Boomers. I liked this segment because it featured a group of Brit-Boomer sport bikers…guys who’ve gone out and dropped significant sums of money on high-zoot sport bikes like the Bimota, machines whose capabilities far exceed the age-impaired reflexes of their riders. But, Hey!… good on these guys. I relate to these geezers in full road-racing leathers much more so than American doctors, lawyers, and Indian corporate chiefs in fringed vests astride their Hogs. A matter of taste, I suppose.

The second show was a puff-piece from a series running on PBS entitled “Boomers! Redefining Life After Fifty!” The show’s web site describes the series thusly:

Boomers! is filmed in communities across the country. Each program has three feature stories, and shorter segments on health, personal finance, and lifestyles. Boomer trivia questions will be woven into the mix. While some episodes use graphics and music to invoke memories of the 50s and 60s, Boomers! is forward-looking and substantive, exploring the central life concerns facing the Boomer generation.

“…exploring the central life concerns facing the Boomer generation.” You mean like…uh…growing old gracefully? Without being in denial? And without calling attention to the fact that you are, in fact, OLD? Forgive me, Gentle Reader, but I’m getting oh-so-tired of the self-indulgent pap generated by the Boomers. Go on out there and sky-dive, go bungie jumping, climb Mt. Everest if you want. But just shut the Hell up about it, OK?

Full disclosure: I’m not a Boomer, what with being born nine months before the official start-date of the Me Generation. Technically, I’m a member of the Silent Generation, described by William Manchester as “withdrawn, cautious, unimaginative, indifferent, unadventurous and silent." Maybe that explains my attitude towards the Boomers. Whatever. It’s a bitch being betwixt and between, ain’t it?

Just in case you don’t venture into the urbane drawing room that is the comments section of this blog, I want to bring the following comment from Reader Bec to the front page:

By the way, my youngest son captured this last night from one of his favorite sites (YTMND) on the size of the universe. (That's "You're the Man Now Dog" and if you don't know what that's all about, here's an explanation.)

That “size of the universe” link is very cool! And you gotta love the Wikipedia entry on YTMND…it’s “all that and a bag of chips,” ain’t it? There’s absolutely nothing you could possibly want to know on the subject that isn’t covered in detail at the link, coming perilously close to “more info than you need.” But that’s the Wiki for ya. I love it.

Another great sunrise this morning, but no pics. While I was up in time to savor the brilliant reds, golds, and deep blues of this morning’s show, I wasn’t quite ready to get out there and take a few snaps. Read that as: “the coffee wasn’t finished brewing.”

Today’s Pic: The colors of Yellowstone’s Porcelain Basin, taken in May, 2000.

14 comments:

  1. Great photo, Buck. I thought it was a satellite photo at first! Ahh, Yellowstone.

    Many seem to think that Judge Taylor's decision will be overturned. I hope! A radio analyst today said he thinks that Bush simply didn't present his case in the right way. His "King George" argument left the door open for the left to jump on him. The analyst said Bush had a perfectly legitimate legal argument to make and he hopes it will be made better next time. (I'm certainly no expert!)

    Buck says - Forgive me, Gentle Reader, but I’m getting oh-so-tired of the self-indulgent pap generated by the Boomers. Go on out there and sky-dive, go bungie jumping, climb Mt. Everest if you want. But just shut the Hell up about it, OK?

    I had to laugh at this, Buck! But I wonder who's writing this stuff. Is it boomers or some in the younger generations who just want to make a buck off of us? (All's fair etc.)
    I have the unusual situation where my parents (born in the late 1920's) had all the adventurous qualities of Baby Boomers and were way ahead of their time.
    For instance, my parents took us on a 90 mile canoe trip in BC in the early 1960's. My brother was only 11 and I was 13. We gamely carried 16mm film equipment, fiberglass (heavy) canoes, bulky army tents and sleeping bags across numerous portages. We were gone for 10 days and hustled every minute as we navigated totally unfamiliar territory in tennis shoes and with no backpacks. Swarms of mosquitoes, soaking rain and wet portages (pulling your canoe by wading), thundering waterfalls if you took the wrong turn, underwater snags that swamped many of the more experienced canoeists, food being stretched so that we were grateful for crackers and peanut butter... What were my parents thinking! They made a great film, though, and my brother and I, who paddled our own canoe, sure were proud of ourselves.
    So now when I see all those "adventurous" Boomers out there in their SUVs, with the very latest equipment, reaching into the farthest reaches of the planet, well. I just have to sigh.
    Come to think of it, many of those intrepid ladies of the Interbellum Generation were ahead of their time, too! In the 1930's, my grandmother took her three young boys across the U.S. on a road trip from Kansas to California and then to Montana. I've heard lots stories from other folks like this. Nothing new, is it? And when I think about what the pioneers did...
    Say, this wiki article on generations is interesting. It's based on a book that organizes the Anglo Saxon generations, from 1433 to the present, into a repetitive pattern.

    Another day of work ahead. Glad you enjoyed the planet link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bec writes: What were my parents thinking!

    Well, based upon what you wrote, I'm thinking they were thinking "Let's give them an experience they'll never forget!" And it worked, no?

    My point is/was the Boomers really don't have anything on those who went before or will come after them. Youth is always "revolutionary," and previous generations manned the barricades (real or metaphorical) much the same as the Boomers. History is chock full of stories of "older" folks who accomplished much, went there, did that, and bought the tee shirts (or jerkins) just as today's Boomers are doing, but without the self-indulgent fanfare.

    Enough, already!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, I'm 63 now. Does that make me a "boomer" or an old F**T?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan sez: I'm 63 now. Does that make me a "boomer" or an old F**T?

    Old F**T. Definately Old F**T.

    Word verification: "cmpznnb" as in that sound you make while napping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only slightly off topic - One time at a bridal shower, my mom was sitting near some younger ladies who were giggling about the negligee and making jokes about sex, and then they realized mom was there so they apologized to her. She said "you kids always think you invented something new?" or something like that. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm at the other end of the "boomer" gen. Just looked it up on Wikipedia and it says between 1946 and 1964. But then adds this:
    "In his book, Boomer Nation, Steve Gillon breaks this population into two groups: Boomers, born between 1945 and 1957; and Shadow Boomers born between 1958 and 1963. In some cases the term Shadow Boomer is incorrectly applied to the children of the Baby Boomers. However this group is more accurately referred to as Echo Boomers."

    So I guess by that definition I'm a Shadow Boomer. Echo Boomer reminds me of like when you go see fireworks in a big city and the booms echo off the buildings. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought of myself at the tail-end of the boomers. Born in 1958, I guess that puts me into the shadow boomers - barely.

    Wow, Bec, your parents sound great. I would love to see that vacation film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bag blog -
    They're still fun! The film was shown on one of those TV travel shows (Jack Douglas, if you ever saw them). He hoped to encourage others to give it a try.

    Say, your last painting of Italy was beautiful! I thought "Italy" before I even read your post. Love the colors.

    Buck -
    Couldn't agree with you more!
    I hope you realized that my comment about "what were they thinking" was meant as a joke? In fact, it's my mom who always says that and the rest of us always tell her we wouldn't have missed it! :) She's part Native American from Upper Pennisula Michigan, though, so this was like breathing to her. And like I said, when I think about what the pioneers did - boy, there was courage. Did you ever read the book, The Children's Blizzard? I highly recommend it.

    Laurie - your mom cracked me up! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was born in 1964, so by some counts I am a Boomer, but by others I am an X-er. It doesn't matter. The label doesn't change who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky's born in '64: Gen-X slacker punk (like me). Or Baby Boomer needing butt-kissin' by the politicians (like me). The cusp is apparently the place to be.

    On the playlist:

    Blondie, Duran Duran, Cars, Styx, Kansas, B-52's, Bangles, Queen, Berlin, Eagles, Go-Go's, Motels, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Talking Heads, Stone Poneys-- see? The cusp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bec: Yes, I got the joke about your parents, I hope you guys realize I was joking with Dan...one of my oldest and bestest friends...we go back to 1968 or so.

    Reese: your playlist and mine have a lot in common!

    It's interesting that several sub-categories (or differing definitions) have been created for the Boomers. I admit I identify with them more than I do with the "Silents."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buck, I thought Dan sounded like an old buddy. Your word verification joke was funny, too! I think the one I have today is more ladylike: tnzzlvsn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Re: playlist, I'll bet Skynyrd and Stone Poneys were our common tastes. I don't see you as a Duran Duran type. And then, I've no use for Rolling Stone's nor Stone Temple Pilots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reese sez: I don't see you as a Duran Duran type. And then, I've no use for Rolling Stone's nor Stone Temple Pilots.

    You are oh-so-correct on the Duran Duran observation. As for the Rolling Stones...well, they ARE the "greatest Rock 'n' Roll band in the world!" Just off the top of my head, I think Dylan is the only rocker that beats the Stones for career longevity, but Neil Young probably comes close. As I said, that's off the top of my head. I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.