Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday

So. I finally got off the dime yesterday, drove over to the Big(ger) CityTM and signed up with Sprint. In other words, I have a new phone (and new phone number) now. My last tie to SFO has been severed (my old phone number was in the 415 Area Code); I’m now tied to New Mexico and its 505 Area Code for at least two years, no matter where I go.

Buying the phone and signing up for service was a minor joy, as far as service experiences go. The folks at the local Sprint store were competent, polite, and cheerful. I find it semi-amazing that one can just walk into a cell phone store, buy a phone, sign a contract and have instant phone service…all in about a half an hour. T’wasn’t always so in the phone biz.

Back in the ‘50s when my father was stationed in Paris, our family was on the French PTT (Post, Telephone & Telegraph, an old acronym) waiting list for a phone for three years. We never did get a phone. And then my Dad got transferred to Ankara, Turkey, where we went on another waiting list, this time for two years. The outcome was the same: we never did get a phone. I think you had to be able to prove direct lineage to The Prophet (pbuh, or something like that) in order to get a phone in Ankara back in the day. I have no explanation as to why we never got a phone in France, other than the fact we were dealing with the French. 'Nuff said, there.

While things were a lot better in the US in the recent past, you still had to endure some sort of lag. One of the ordeals of moving to a new city is signing up and making appointments for utilities such as electricity, cable, and land-line phones. And then spending all day waiting for the installer to arrive at the appointed time (ha ha), who may or may not show up. But cell phones? Instant gratification. How very American, no?

Did my bit to encourage the Rain Gods while I was in the Big(ger) CityTM yesterday, too. Which is to say I got the car washed. And although the skies have clouded over right on cue, there is no rain in the forecast. It will be hot, though. 92. Let’s bypass Spring and go directly to Summer; Do Not Pass Go.

Miscellaneous Bitches, Moans, Groans, and Complaints Dept:

(1) While watching a program on the History Channel last evening I noticed the narrator kept referring to dates in the past as “in 1296 of the Current Era” or “1492 in the Current Era.” Every single time. How very PC. It’s no longer “1296 A.D.” The actual numbers remain the same, of course, we’ve just removed all references to Christ. And the point is? One wonders how the numbering system is explained in secular-humanist households when a child asks the question something like “How did the dates of our years get established, Mommy?” “Well, Dear, we figure time based on the birthday of some Middle Eastern carpenter who was born in the year Zero.” “A carpenter, Mommy?” “Yes, Dear. Now be a good girl and go play.” Sheesh.

(2) Over the last couple of days I’ve gotten a dozen or so visits from EDS employees googling “EDS,” while at work. Get back to work!! Google on your own time! If the EDS pension plan goes into default because of your slacker behavior I’ll hunt you down and kill you. And I know where you live…or at least I know where you work. Just sayin’.

Bad news if you’re still running Windows 98, 98SE, or ME. Upgrading your OS is a major or minor pain, depending on the age of your ‘puter. I don’t envy you if you’re in this situation…better to buy a new computer.

4 comments:

  1. "get back to work"

    Oh, alright already...

    Glad you got the phone thing straightened out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can surf to your lil heart's content, Laurie!

    :-)

    I just take issue with people who pay my pension screwing off. Makes me revert right back to my martinet management style, ya know. {big ol' Texas grin}

    ReplyDelete
  3. The phone story made me laugh. If you have to be related to the prophet in Turkey, I wonder who you have to be related to in Northern NM. When we built our house north of Questa - El Rito area, a neighbor came over. She said, "Wow, you have electricity!" I said, "Yeah, but we do not have a phone, and I cannot seem to get one." With a straight face, she said, "In El Rito, you can have electricity or a phone, but not both." Weeks later the phone man came out and hooked us up, but told me that technically it was illegal for him to do so. When we sold the house five years later, it was in the contract to leave the phone hooked up because no new phones were being put in - extremely long waiting list. Only in NM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lou...El Rito is out there! It doesn't surprise me that there would be a waiting list for phone service in that part of NM; it's pretty isolated. I had lunch in El Rito one beautiful summer's day a couple of years ago. The ex-girlfriend took me to El Farolito, one of the smallest restaurants I've ever eaten in, run by an old guy who had won the "Best Chile" award at the NM State Fair for two years running. And the chile was good!

    I thought you lived in Red River...or did you just grow up there?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.