Monday, April 03, 2006

Done. Signed. Mailed.

My federal taxes, that is, complete with my five dollar check to My Favorite Uncle. And who sez I’m a procrastinator? I still have two weeks before the deadline!

I really hate doing my taxes, which is why I put it off until (not quite) the last minute every year. It hasn’t been nearly as bad since I retired; this year I spent about four hours (only?) putting it all together. I usually wind up owing Uncle a small bit every year. I’m not into giving the gub’mint an interest-free loan, so I play it pretty close on the witholding, always erring on the side of owing a small amount.

Doing taxes is depressing. It used to be I got depressed looking at all the money the Feds took away (and California, and New York, etc., back in those days). Now I get all depressed looking at the paltry sum I live on. I paid more in taxes the last few years I worked than I take in these days. It’s a choice, though. I could still be working – I choose not to.

Have you been following the Cynthia McKinney brouhaha? Briefly:

Democratic Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney of Georgia made news last week when she allegedly, as WXIA-TV in Atlanta reported, “punched a Capitol police officer on Wednesday afternoon after he mistakenly pursued her for failing to pass through a metal detector.”

It’s been reported the police officer will press charges. McKinney is responding in a typical, for her, manner.

According to the Drudge Report, “The cop is pressing charges, and the USCP (United States Capitol Police) are waiting until Congress adjourns to arrest her, a source claims.” According to editor Michael King at WXIA-TV, “No charges have been filed” but senior officials are investigating the videotaped incident.

McKinney,” her lawyer told reporters, “is just a victim of being in Congress while black." He spoke in lieu of McKinney at what became a delayed press conference that was to feature McKinney flanked by Hollywood actor Danny Glover, best known of late for his outspoken support for Latin American dictators Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Fidel Castro of Communist Cuba.

According to United Press International, this was Rep. McKinney’s fifth run-in with Washington security personnel since 1993. Security officers reportedly now keep photographs of McKinney and her frequently changed hairstyles in their offices.

Frontpage magazine has an extensive article on this subject, along with a history of some McKinney’s more outrageous acts, in and out of Congress. To state the obvious: What a whack-job she is. {sigh}

3 comments:

  1. I'm still procrastinating. Well not entirely, I did crunch some numbers, but have to finish up and send them out. And I have to do my son's too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whack job! So true, Buck!

    I just cannot believe that she is trying to get away with this whole thing. And, to throw it all on the guard? ANYONE in public office should understand security these days ...

    Sheesh, what a waste of a federal pension. Do you realize she is going to get paid FOR LIFE after she leaves?! By US! And, her surviving spouse gets what, 75%, if she is gone.

    Wow, we're all in the wrong business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that they use the,"black," comment, I don't find it necessary. Cap Police will stop anyone trying to get through, black or white. It's not only the country at stake but for them, more importantly their jobs, at stake.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.