Thursday, March 09, 2006

This Frickin' Wind...

According to the WX Channel: steady 27 mph, gusting to 38 mph. This is a steady Tiresome, gusting to Obnoxious, on the Pennington Scale. Translated to the more widely accepted Beaufort Scale that would be a steady high-end Force Six (Strong Breeze, 25 – 31 mph), gusting to Force Seven (Near Gale, 32 – 38 mph). We’ve been subjected to this crap for well over 24 hours now, and I could plant a good alfalfa crop in the accumulated dirt on my window sills. And I’ve “dusted” (dirt-ed?) twice since this stuff started yesterday. I’m thinking about breaking out the Dramamine, too. This constant side-to-side rocking is beginning to affect me. I’m not being entirely facetious, either. But on balance this is better than snow, I suppose.

Speaking of the WX Channel, they’ve subjected me to an avalanche of weight loss ads today. The ones with the ridiculous before/after photos and quick video clips showing Amazing Results. The funny thing is I prefer the “before” women, unless said women lost in excess of 100 pounds, of which there are a few. I think I was born into the wrong era; I’d be much more comfortable in Reubens’ era than my own. A pox on those frickin’ people who push the ectomorphic ideal on our women. The answer to that perennial female “Am I too fat?” question, in at least 70% of the cases, is “No.” No, you’re not. Now let’s go have a beer or three.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you on the wind thing - it is driving me crazy here in OK. Speaking of OK, those song lyrics are hitting pretty close to home...just teasin, but I know those folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the weight thing. According to whoever decides those things, I'm overweight. If I were to lose down to their ideal of 115 lbs, I'd look positively skeletal. Those weights don't take into account bone structure, body types, and muscle mass. My doctor says my weight is ok, so I'm going with that. I don't drink beer, but I'll be happy to go get a chocolate milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The answer to that perennial female “Am I too fat?” question, in at least 70% of the cases, is “No.” No, you’re not. Now let’s go have a beer or three."

    LOL! Marry me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky: The trick would be to find a place that serves both beer and shakes, wouldn't it?

    Laurie: I'd entertain your offer, but I fear we'd be seriously incompatible in at least one area: you'd have to give up all that ice and snow. And one should never ask a prospective mate to undergo that much change, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heehee...well sometimes compromises have to be made...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.