Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tuesday in Review

Albert the Propane Guy finally showed up in the afternoon, but the timing was such that today’s major re-supply and replenishment mission was slipped 24 hours or so. Gotta be flexible, ya know. I went down to the local 7-11 analogue and The Cheap Ciggie Store and bought Mission Essential items; the rest can wait until tomorrow. Gives me something to look forward to, no?

“I Heart Technology” Department: I renewed my RV and motorcycle registrations on-line today while waiting for Godot Albert. Renewed my driver’s license, too. I hope these on-line renewal options wind up putting thousands and thousands of sour and surly bureaucrats out of work. I don’t normally hold a grudge against an entire class of people, but in this case I’ll make an exception. All DMVs suck. If you think I’m wrong, tell me so! I’m open.

I’m good-to-go in the license department until 2012. I may expire before my license does.

Shattered Beliefs Department: Damn. THIS is traumatic; it’s worse than the Liberal Horror I felt when I came to the realization I was a Conservative in the way-back. The only thing I can think of that might be worse would be finding myself attracted to Albert. Ready?

I heard THREE hip-hop songs today that I liked.

No kidding. The first was Excess by a guy named Tricky. An excellent tune, kinda techno, with great playing, great arrangement, great back-up vocals, and Hella energy. The second was Dare by Gorillaz. I NEVER thought I’d say something like that, but it’s true. Once again, a great pop song. If the rest of Gorillaz’ catalog is as good as this song, I’ll buy an album. Seriously. Which brings us to…

Song of the Day:

Song: Gin and Juice

Artist: The Gourds

Album: Shinebox

Year: 2001

Source: Radio Paradise. (Where Else?)

Makes Me Think of & etc.: (gangsta voice) New to me, so I don’t think of nuthin’, ya unnerstan? Nuthin’! (/gangsta voice) This, believe it or don’t is a pseudo-country cover of a Snoop Dogg song. I say pseudo because the country idiom is exaggerated; it’s so over the top it works. The instrumentation is primarily finger-picked guitar and mandolin, the lead vocal is reminiscent of those nasally, high tenor, Grand Ol Opry-style male vocals you hear on archive film. The chorus is about as redneck as you can get. Think: drunk good ol’ boys on the 4th of July. You visualize six wildly drunk good ol’ boys barrelin’ down a dirt road somewhere in a 1986 F-100, throwing empties out the window and the bed every mile or so, headed to town to kick-ass, get drunk(er) and pick up some wimmen. What a FUN song! Alternatively, it's The Apocalypse.

(The lyrics are Snoop Dogg’s and are R-rated; reader discretion is advised.)

Lyrics:

With so much drama in L-B-C
It's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O-double-G
But I, somehow, some way
Keep comin up with funky ass shit nearly every single day
Can I, kick a little something for the G's
and, make a few friends is a breeze, through
Two in the mornin and the party's still jumpin
cause my momma ain't ho-ome
I got bitches in the living room gettin it on
and, they ain't leavin til six in the mornin
So what you wanna do hoo
I got a pocket full of rubbers and my homeboys do too
So turn off the lights and close the doors
But (but what) we don't love them whores
So we gonna smoke a ounce to this
G's up, hoes down, while you motherf**kers bounce to this

Chorus: repeat 2X

Rollin down the street, smokin indo, sippin on gin and juice
Laid back with my mind on my money and my money on my mind

Verse Two:

Now that I got me some Seagram's gin
Every body got their cups, but they ain't chipped in
Ya know this type of shit, happens all the time
Gotta get yours before I get mine
Everything is fine when you listenin to the D-O-G
He gots the cultivating music that be captivating he
who hears the words that I speak
As I take me a drink to the middle of the street
and get mackin to this bitch named Sadie
She used to be the homeboy's lady
Eighty degrees, when I tell that bitch please
Raise up off these N-U-T's, cause you gets none of these
as I mob with the Dogg Pound, feel the breeze

Chorus

Verse Three:

(slows down)
Later on that day
My homey Dr. Dre
He came by with a gang of Tanqueray
And a fat ass J,
(speeds up)
of some bubonic chronic you know it made me choke
It ain't no joke, I had to back up off of it,
Set my cup of gin down

(stops) Yeah, Tanqueray and chronic, well I'm f**ked up now (speeds back up)
But it ain't no stoppin, I'm still poppin
Dr Dre got some bitches from the city of Compton
To serve me, not with a cherry on top
Cause when I bust my nut, ya know I'm raisin up off the cot
Don't get upset girl, that's just how it goes
I don't love you hoes, that's why I'm out the do'
And I'll be

Chorus
Rollin down the street, smokin indo, sippin on gin and juice {beeotch!!}
Laid back with my mind on my money and my money on my mind

Picking today’s song was damned difficult. I got into serious listening mode around noon, and didn’t pay attention to much else, other than the music. (I’m male. I don’t multi-task. I do one thing at a time and I do it well.) There were SO many good tunes, both old and new, it’s hard to list them all. Here’s just a few:

Nick Lowe - Cracking Up: A deliciously sinister, almost psychotic pop song with great hooks. If you’ve heard it, you know what I mean.

Stone Temple Pilots - Sour Girl: Took me back to Rochester immediately; this is both good and bad.

Ry Cooder - The Very Thing That Makes You Rich: Brilliant slide-guitar, the epitome of the blues idiom. Some think the lyrics are misogynist, I think they’re true.

Cowboy Junkies - Anniversary Song: The best song I’ve ever heard about happiness and contentment in a relationship.

Boy, it was HARD to decide.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you have been in NM too long. When you end a statement with "no" and question mark, it is a sure sign that you are becoming a New Mexican - did you say it with a slightly sing-songy, Spanish accent? But then you were crazed by Albert's being late and the DMV bureaucracy so there may be hope for you. If you begin to think that the land of minana is normal, it is time to move on. Aieee! the stories I could tell you about living in NM...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aieee! the stories I could tell you about living in NM...

    DO tell, BB...do tell! I read your "and she's got a gun, too!" story over at your place and loved it. The stories folks tell is why I read blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always sang this one...with my mind on ma money and ma money in ma bra!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.