Thursday, December 29, 2005

Circadian Rhythms and Other Things

Mine are hosed, as demonstrated by the fact I'm writing and posting at an hour when most rational people are asleep (shift workers obviously excluded). I've been this way for some time, and aside from the fact I question my "normalcy," there are no negative consequences I'm aware of. I sleep at odd hours because, frankly, I can. No job, and no external commitments of any sort makes for an erratic life. Today was no exception.

After a hard day of doing laundry and wondering what it would be like if an impossibly thin old man were to have sex with a VERY large woman (e.g., 5' 4" and 200+ pounds), I decided around 4:30 I'd take a short nap and then get up and fix dinner. The "large woman" fantasy bears a bit of explanation. This was an intellectual exercise rather than a classic fantasy; more like an extended rumination on the mechanics involved. I won't go into a great deal of detail here (ed: thank you.), but suffice to say I was thinking of set and setting and who could possibly be where, and for how long. I thought a bit about the possibility of physical harm, too. Then I went back to reading the NatGeo until the dryer was done. Yeah, all this occurred within the confines of the laundromat. And reoccurred later, also, just before I fell asleep. No adverse impact on my nap. Actually, I came to the conclusion that not only would the activity just discussed be possible, in my state it might even be plausible. Think on that.

So. I layed me down around 4:30 and slept until 10:15, waking up rather hungry, as one might expect. So much for a short nap.

Dinner was a relatively quick affair. Freezer inspection revealed two packages of shu-mai (among other things), those wonderful Chinese/Japanese steamed dumplings you get in dim-sum places and Japanese restaurants. The frozen variety aren't bad, but they do require an ability to temporarily suspend your beliefs in all that is good and proper about Japanese cuisine. Not bad, just different, I suppose one would say. Actually, the secret is in the dipping sauce. No cutting corners here; I make my own, and it's a relatively simple exercise: about a half-cup of mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine, for cooking only), a tablespoon of prepared Colman's English Mustard, and a tablespoon of Kikkoman. The ingredients are estimated, in actuality I wing it, never measuring anything. Dry Colman's is better than prepared, but my local grocery store has been out of the dry variety for a while. Make a salad while the shu-mai are subjected to five minutes of intense radiation, and voila! Dinner is served. Oh, yeah: uncap a Fat Tire, too. Or two.

Washed the day's dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. Resolved to go out to the base tomorrow and do some serious grocery shopping. Sat down and decided there wasn't a single thing on TV worth watching, as usual. Surfed and read more than a few blogs, winding up on the Claremont Institute's site, which resulted in the post below. And now it's 3:00 a.m. and I'm not sleepy.

Looks like a long night! But that's OK. I don't have to get up later this morning and join the rat race. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.