Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack, or Christmas Music I Can Get Behind...

More Lyle, from his latest (click the arrow icon to play):

The Girl With The Holiday Smile (Album Version)
I met a hooker at the grocery store
She wasn't bad lookin', she was a pretty little whore
Whoa-o-whoa, she's the girl with the holiday smile

She told me: "Merry Christmas and peace to you"
She said "I've been workin' this whole night through."
She said "Whoa-o-whoa, I'm the girl with the holiday smile"

She told me "Whoa my whoa me, I look so good beneath a Christmas tree"
She said "Whoa-o-whoa, I'm the girl with the holiday smile"
I have this issue with "holiday music"... in that I'm overexposed.  It seems like I get waaaay too much, too early, when it comes to Christmas music.  I truly believe there's a special place in Hell for those people who (a) invented Muzak and (b) those who beat us to DEATH with it, especially during the holidays.  Those aforementioned people have taken something truly wonderful and turned it into something ugly.  A pox upon them and their descendents.

This tune, OTOH, is somethang I don't get tired of.  Then again, it's not somethang I'm gonna hear when I go out grocery shopping, and thank The Deity At Hand for THAT.

In other news... our "inspection" took all of about one minute and 45 seconds, which amounted to the inspector sayin' sumthin' to the effect of "Your place is IMMACULATE.  Any issues?"  "Nope," sez I... "it all works and I'm a Happy Camper." End of report.

Everythang in life should be so simple. 

12 comments:

  1. You should have told him you wanted energy efficient light bulbs to lower your electric bill. Start thinking like a Democrat, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, hookers and Christmas. Now I'm in the holiday spirit. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you mention the water bill?

    I like Christmas music especially the big band era type music, but it all can be overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really need to hear Christmas music until after December 1.
    I am all in favor of the Spirit of Christmas over the entire month,... even longer... but the reality is that those who insist on being first at everything spoil it.
    The way my mind works is I am almost hoping the decorations some of my neighbors have put up are blown away by the storms.
    I have to admit this year isn't quite the same as most and my patience isn't nearly what it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was at the DIL's house at Thanksgiving we noticed someone in their neighborhood put up one of those thousand-dollar... or quite possibly MULTI-thousand-dollar... displays the day after Thanksgiving. There were one-story blow-up, internally lit Santas & snowmen, trees festooned with lights, and one of the gaudiest lit-up houses I've ever seen. I was awed at the time, less so today.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, we definitely share some DNA somewhere back down the line. I could do without Christmas tunes until December 10th or so. Hell, make it the 20th. And I actually LIKE Christmas music, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Christmas music, too... and that's the sad thing. I'm with ya on the 20th.

      Delete
  6. I like the traditional stuff. "Oh Tannanbaum" etc. I've got a GREAT alblum of mostly instrumental/choir of Bulgarian German, Hungarian and other Eastern European Church music. Also lots Of London Boys Choir, etc. But the all instrumental stuff is best. Got a whole reel-to-reel of it--custom tape I made from several such alblums way back in 1971 on my trusty TEAC 6010-S. Great for Christmas Eve nighttime atmosphere. For Christmas Day lighter stuff like Manhatten Transfer, etc. I've got a custon CD of all New Orleans singers/bands that is also great--to include Louis Armstrong. Also novelty cassette tape of songs by local N.O. artist/band "Benny Grunch and the Bunch" that is COMPLETELY OUT OF HAND! "The 12 YAT's of Christmas" etc. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more of a traditionalist, as well. The old carols are the best carols.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.