Friday, May 06, 2011

Still Alive



Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom celebrates his first goal with Brad Stuart during 1st period action between the Detroit Red Wings and the San Jose Sharks in game four of their series at Joe Louis Arena, in Detroit, May 6, 2011.  (JULIAN H. GONZALEZ/DFP) (ed:  I LOVE the fans' reactions!  There are more fan shots here.)


It was a near-run thing, but the Wings prevailed in Game Four, 4-3.  That said, it damned well shouldn't have been close, what with the Wings up 3-0 in the first period.  But those Tiburones just won't roll over and die when they should and what's worse is Dee-troit keeps letting them get back in it.  But all's well that ends well... tonight.  Darren Helm got the game winner this evening, and that was the icing on the cake for me.  I'm thinkin' about buyin' another Wings sweater with 43 on the back, mainly coz Helm is rapidly becoming my favorite Wing.  The guy has blazing speed, puck sense, makes the most amazing hits, and is damned good defensively.  As I told SN1 tonight... I have a serious man-crush on this dude.  Watch this and see what I mean:


But back to the Wings-Sharks... I'm not a bright-eyed optimist about the Wings chances of winning four straight, but it HAS been done before.  The Wings need to take it one game at a time, play their best, and beat the snot out of these upstarts.  It's not impossible, just improbable.  And wouldn't that be cool?

Update, 2215 hrs:  Helm's winning goal...



Izzat good, or what??

5 comments:

  1. Amazing how close all these games have been. It seems all of them could go either way.

    There is still some hope, no matter how dismal it looks. Keep the hope alive till it ends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I love hockey. :)

    Speaking of awesome goals...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silver: Awesome, indeed. I LOVED watching those Lamoureaux girls in the Olympics last year and was just heart-broken they didn't take the gold medal. Do you know Joycelyne or her sister? Is she in any of your classes?

    Anon: "Go either way" is the buzz on all the Wings blogs, and I buy into that... to a certain extent. But it gets to a point when you lose seven out of nine by one goal that you begin to doubt that premise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't personally know them, ahaha. xD It seems that all of the hockey players have radically different degree paths than me. I did know someone who had Aaron Dell in one of his classes last year, though. I like the Lamoureux twins in general, they always seem to have everything down. Total control of the puck, an almost eerie knowledge of where their teammates are at all times...

    I try to perform at all of the home women's hockey games (they often desperately need volunteers for the Hockey Band, and the team's coach apparently loves us), and I was there when she scored that goal. xD The school song you hear in the background after the goal has me in it. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...they always seem to have everything down.

    Hockey players tend to be like that, just like band members.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.