Saturday, March 05, 2011

Wherein I Say Something Good About Obama

Yeah, you read that right.  Check this out:


That would be the president holding a bottle of beer... but that's a bottle of 312 beer, brewed in Chicago (312 is the metro Chicago area code -- how clever) and gifted to David Cameron last summer.  That's not necessarily a noteworthy thing as people give other people beer all the time... even presidents and prime ministers.  Nope, what got MY attention is the fact Obama is brewing his own beer.  Supposedly.  He's doing it in the White House and will serve the fruits of his labors at White House dinners in future.   From NPR's web site:
During this year's Super Bowl, President Obama created a stir by offering guests at the White House beer that he'd brewed himself. And now the president reportedly plans to have another batch of his homebrew on hand March 17 — that's right, for St. Patrick's Day.

According to the Irish Central website, when Obama announced that this March is Irish American Heritage Month, he also pledged to serve his own White House Honey Ale — made with honey from the White House garden beehive — to help celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
Well, hell, that's no small beer.  Good on The One.  While the fact that the President brews his own beer is pretty cool (actually there's a Beer Czar in the White House kitchen that does it for him)... it's also unlikely to change my mind about Obama the president or Obama the politician.  That said, I wouldn't mind sampling a bottle of White House Honey Ale.  OTOH... "Gub'mint Beer."  The very thought makes me snicker.

I'll remind you that even a stopped clock is right twice a day, Gentle Reader.  Indications are Obama's clock stopped at Happy Hour, and that would be the best case.

―:☺:―

In other beer news.... Fox News has a good piece up on the craft beer explosion.  A few excerpts: 
In fact, while beers sales fell as a whole by almost 3 percent nationally, the sale of craft beer -- which is any beer made by breweries producing less than two million barrels a year -- has gone up.
 
In the first half of 2010, the sales of craft beer went up 9 percent by volume and 12 percent in dollars, according to the Brewers Association, a national non-profit association representing the majority of  U.S. breweries

While craft beers are still a small percentage of total beer sales, the totals are staggering and sobering: nine million barrels, more than $7 billion in sales, helping to fuel an estimated 100,000 full- and part-time jobs coast to coast.
Julia Herz, spokeswoman for the Brewers Association, says that breweries are on the rise in U.S. neighborhoods, with more than 1,600 breweries registered and another 500 in the planning stages.
It's no great secret that Americans' taste in beer is improving, what IS news is the proliferation of small local breweries.  The linked article claims that most Americans live within ten miles of a brewery and that is very good news.  Beer should be local, unless it isn't.  By that I mean there ain't no such thing as the Portales Brewery or "Big(ger) City Beer."  The nearest brewery to me is in Santa Fe... as far as I know... and they put out crap, unfortunately.  So we'll hang with beer from Fort Collins, CO; Shiner, TX; and Boston, among others. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh ugh. St Patricks Day is coming up. Thanks for the reminder. A must miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like B. Franklin said (I will loosely quote) "Beer is God's way of saying He loves us."

    I agree with you. I like that the President is brewing his own beer.

    Still, I like to buy kegs. This way I don't run out while enjoying a long evening of quaffing barley pops.

    My short foray into beer brewing in 1985 was one of frustration. The six cases I made took way too much time and the waiting for my brew to ferment was excruciating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several small brewery's near my digs here in the Swamp. Many winery's also. I do not enjoy them near as much as I should given the health bennie's in both.

    My travels to the Czech Republic however reveals a brewery behind every tall building or more appropriately in the basement of every tall building. I have sampled many and I have found that they take chances with the beer that you don't see here. Like mixing sprite and beer together or putting fruits in the beer (besides the lime or lemon fad they do here on select beers). It is a beer heaven there and of course with all the good looking bar maids how can you go wrong.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess this proves he is American after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dapper Dan product naming service is available, should His Hipness desire it. A coupla suggestions for his (and your) consideration:

    Ayers Ale (Just had to be one honoring his great friend and homeland terrorist)

    Rev. Wright's Power Suds (malt liquor; g-dd--n America, this stuff'll knock you down)

    We Proud Now (Michelle's brew)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beer czar.. Heh.

    So, he's celebrating St. Patty's. Does that mean he's also Black Irish?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I answered every one of all y'alls comments individually, hit "publish," and got the infamous Blogger message: "We're sorry but we could not complete your request." So about six minutes of typing fierce and witty comment on YOUR comments went POOF. I'm too goddamned pissed off at the moment to try and re-create what I said... but most of it was along the lines of "good on ya!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buck/

    Ought to try (PS: yeah, I been there on the blogger bit--its been happening a lot to the people at Althouse--LOTS of complaints recently) the "Abita Springs" (north of N.O. across the lake) family of offerings. I rather like their raspberry-wheat "Purple Haze" (won 1st Place in S. Carolina's "Low Country Beer fest" in 09), as well as their Turbo Dog one and their wheat-based & Amber one (good all purpose) one as well--hit their site. They have a ton of specialties--strawberry, Satsuma, Bock, Christmas Ale, etc.

    BTW: Left a comment about your eyes back on the post--I had both done 4 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brewing beer isn't enough to make think or say anything nice about The Wun. Period.

    I still remember my first exposure to "craft beer". Pete's Wicked Ale, 1994 in Hawaii. Thought it was about the nastiest stuff I'd ever tasted. My, I've come a long way. I do think good beer tends to be a tad overpriced, however, but that doesn't stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Virgil: I googled Abita Springs beer in Google shopping and no one carries it, near as I can tell. The brewery itself offers tee shirts, glasses, coasters, and other swag but apparently doesn't ship beer. And that's a LONG way to drive for a beer, innit?

    BR: I'm not a big fan of Pete's Wicked Ale but I HAVE knocked back a few in the past. I hear ya about the "come a long way" thing, too. I was never much of a beer drinker... at least not for the sheer FUN of it... until I got stationed in England in 1980. And then the clouds parted, a shaft of brilliant white light descended from the heavens, and God hissownself spoke to me. I haven't been the same since. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.