Friday, January 29, 2010

Your Local On the Eights

 
Note the band of blue sky.  I'm hoping the sun comes out later. 

No... make that MY local on the eights, if'n you please.  From the Portales News-Tribune:
Winter wasn't ready to let up Friday morning.
The temperature was 16 degrees just before 8 a.m. in Portales, according to Accuweather. Overnight, 1-5 inches of more snow had accumulated on top of yesterday's snow in the area, said Maria Torres, intern meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Albuquerque.

She said Saturday and Sunday were expected to be sunny with a high of 46 Saturday and 51 Sunday.

...

An additional 1-5 inches of snow fell on Portales Thursday night, adding to the accumulation of more than 6 inches from the day before.
It's pretty hard to tell how much snow we got just by going outside and walking around.  That's because it was very windy during the storm, so there are drifts that look to be eight or ten inches deep while other areas have hardly an inch or two on the ground.  One thing I DO know, tho: it's colder than (insert cliché here.  My favorite has to do with the sorceress' mammary glands). 

My cherry tree right now:


And in Former Happy Days:

It will be like this again soon... but not soon enough.

5 comments:

  1. MissBirdlegs in AL29 January, 2010 13:22

    Rain, freezing rain, sleet happening here today - schools all let out early. Trees already drooping with ice - not a good sign. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both *beautiful* I have snow envy right now.


    Cheers to you on Friday night Buck. Happy Happy Hour. I raced out the West End so fast I had a headache. ALL I want is my sofa!

    I would like to add that I am SO PROUD of my country today The Chilcott enquiry showed Tony Blair up for the complete statesman that he is. Several hours of grilling and still resolute and dignified and 100% right about Iraq. I may hate his home policies and the party behind him (but to my mind the man was always a Tory). He will never be wrong about Iraq and history will prove that. I nearly cried when he said where we needed to stand after 9/11 and how the world was. When pressed about his position re America and being 'forced' to follow he replied "What I heard when I spoke to Bush following 9/11 was ....genuine fear, in his voice. There was no question of where we stood and how the rules of the 'game' had changed and I wouldn't alter my position on that now".

    It was a good day for democracy. Makes me very proud to be English this cold Friday. Tweeted it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy: I hope you made it through the night OK.

    Alison: Tony B (and the protesting asshats) made the news here, too. Good On Tony. You can have my snow, I'm done with it now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you don't like the snow, Buck, but remember that the snows in winter (heck, any precipitation here in NM at any time of the year) help our water table and make the cherry trees beautiful in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Sharon. I shouldn't bitch so much, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.