Thursday, May 01, 2008

Taking a Mental Health Day, of Sorts

Dunno exactly why, but I feel semi-compelled to apologize for the lack of meaningful content around these parts, of late. Long-time readers (both of you) know the tone of EIP has changed radically over the course of the last two months or so. Whereas we used to be something like “all politics, all the time,” these days it’s seemingly all hockey, all the time. But that’s just because of the season, Gentle Reader, and like Christmas, it comes but once a year. And you’re probably glad for it, too.

There’s a reason for the lack of political content… more than one, actually. To begin with, I’m finding politics supremely boring of late. Nothing much has changed over the course of the last month, perhaps two. The Obamanon and Hillary are still at it, and I, for one, am MUCH more than capable of looking away from this particular train-wreck. I find the situation neither amusing nor interesting at the moment, but I will admit I feel more than a certain amount of schadenfreude. It’s good to see your ideological opponents beat themselves senseless (not that either had a whole helluva lot of sense, to begin with), and we on the Right can only benefit from the excessive behavior of both of these Useful Idiots.

And what can be said about The Right, while we’re on about such things? Not much. McCain is enjoying the calm before the general election storm and is, for all intents and purposes, quiescent at the moment. I’m OK… much MORE than OK, actually… with that. Keep flying under the radar, John, build your org, and collect lotsa money. I’m here for ya, come November.

There are no lack of “outrages du jour” lately (and there never is, what with Outrage! being the stock and trade of our illustrious media), but I’m tiring of those, as well. I’m conserving my outrage for the Fall (read that: general election), when I intend to let it blossom and flower to its fullest extent. And there ya go: fair warning.

Nope…these days I’m ALL about the odd and the whimsical, but ya gotta have a certain amount of motivation to go out and seek it. Sometimes I get lucky and it finds me... by way of my in-box, or else in the blogs of my more-motivated blog-buddies.

So. All of the above is a sort of left-handed way of saying I have nothing to say. Sometimes it bees like that.

One note: wishes do come true. San Jose won last night… so that series goes to a Game Five, at the very least. And Philly looks like they’re gonna put Montreal away, going up 3-1 in their series last evening. Not that I actually care about that series, what with having no dog in that particular fight. But it IS hockey, and a good hockey game beats the Hell out of just about anything and everything else that’s out there, at the moment.

We’ll resume normal programming at some point in the near future. In the meantime, please accept my apologies for the rampant mediocrity on display around here of late.

(post script: about the mood images I’ve used these last two days. I’ve stolen them from here, and quite useful they are.)

16 comments:

  1. Free ice cream, worth every penny. Mental health is a wee-bit more important.

    I look forward to your ruminations on the general election. The "Republican" I could easily leave. But I will probably take him, on lack of viable alternatives.

    Mind if I drop by? Weather permitting (and the Trigo fire a factor) I will be in your neighborhood (New Mexico sense) for leisure this weekend. I'm sorry, I can't say exactly when, but it would be a decent hour (don't want to wake you before noon).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Bob! I just fired off a note to ya (at your concentric.net addy... still valid, I hope) with my phone number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite political joke right now:

    Have you heard about the new "support your candidate" effort? McCain supporters drive with their headlights on during the day...Obama and Hillary supporters drive with their lights OFF at night! Can't wait to see this one happen!!

    Can't wait for game 4 tonight!

    GO WINGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Tis valid.

    Go Avs (on behalf of a friend who's a big fan, to the point of a tattoo fer gosh sakes).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the lack of good things to blog about. Perhaps you could start your own 101 in 1001 days. Or make it 10 in 101 days? LOL!

    Drove by the trailer park today on my way home from wonderful jury duty and this time I think I saw where you are docked! Don't be surprise if one of these days I leave something on your doorstep for you (almost time to plant the garden, and I'm planning on lots of tomatoes).

    And I thought of something else. If you were to ever pack up and move, you would have to change the name of your blog. So see, even if the price of fuel goes down, you're stuck here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'll take anything you put out there cause you are in NM!! I have no horizon here, no spectacular sunsets, open spaces and such!! I miss all that and more (the El Rancho burger from Bob's Burgers especially). Not too much of those simple things round these parts. PA may be rich in Hockey but it lacks the more humble things.

    As for the political season, I sent in my Voter Registration form to revert back to the Republican party. My brief flirtation with being a Dem was as brief as legally possible. I did my duty at keeping the 'dogs' baying at each other, burning money and traction with the General Public. I did have fun with it, my Daughter who is a flaming liberal was a bit miffed. I claimed to be doing things as a Dem that I could not do as a Republican (as a Dem I could bring in all the illegals I wanted to work on the yard, as a Republican I would have had to deport them all). It was fun while it lasted.

    As for Hockey, I am hoping for an All PA Eastern Conference Final for no other reason then I just don't like the Penguins (I think if the Rangers pull this out of the fire they would be an easier series for the Flyers). I do watch as much as possible since it will be hockey drought soon enough. Although I am one of those who feels the season is simply too long. But I can't stand not having it available to watch.

    So, keep on keeping on, like I said I'll read anything you put up. Don't worry about to much about the content, that will come.

    Jimmy T

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean...since finishing my life story in posts, current events seem so mundane, but it is life!

    Don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey be happy, looks as if your Wings will finish off the injured AVs tonight, up 3-1 at the end of 1 last I looked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Buck. I am so sorry that I have not been around here for weeks now! (I do sneak in to read for a few minutes when I get the chance.)

    Things are so busy beyond belief here getting ready for our move. We are scheduled to leave Kansas for NM on May 16. I am so far beyond exhausted right now I feel like I will be sleeping for the first month I am in NM.

    I agree with you about the political scene. This one is a disappointment all around. The Dems are tearing each other up and it's not even fun to watch anymore ... and McCain makes me want to go take a long nap. Not sure what to do come November...as a life-long political junkie, having NO ONE in the race that I can support is new for me and disheartening.

    After college hoops, I am not watching NBA playoffs. GO SAN ANTONIO SPURS ~ love that team!

    I will be in and out as I can until I am officially a New Mexican.

    ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn ... can't edit my post.

    I MEANT to say I am NOW watching the NBA Playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree... politics as of late is just plain boring.
    Although I've been more of a lurker than a commenter lately, I've still been enjoying your posts.

    one question... did you change something about a month ago? Your blog freezes on me and closes the browser when I open in Safari. I haven't noticed it on any other sites... is it your way of getting back at us Mac people? ;)
    I have no problem with Firefox though. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buck, I think you're being too hard on yourself. Man does not live by political wonkery alone, and I've been enjoying the personal reminiscences and even the hockey talk. :-)

    You're a good writer and always worth reading. Don't sweat it, and for God's sake don't feel like you "owe" us anything other than writing about whatever the hell you feel like writing about on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It bees what it bees. Your always at the top of my read list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I second Barry and Lou! That's what's so nice about being last to comment sometimes someone writes what you feel first:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. All y'all are VERY kind! Thank you verymuch.

    I liked the joke, Buck. Good stuff. And didn't we have a GREAT time last evening? It's a great good thing we have the "talk all ya want" option on our phone contracts, eh?

    Jenny: Don't laugh, but I've given thought to the blog title and have even used that as a joking rationalization as to why I'm "stuck" here. But: truth be told, I like P-ville.

    Jimmy: Looks like you're gonna get your wish for an "All-PA" final. Both the Habs and the Rangers have a helluva hole to crawl out of...

    And I LOVED your "temporary Democrat" story!! I can just imagine the conversations with your daughter... my Ol' Man and I used to have some real knock-down, drag-outs back in my moonbat days. Thankfully he lived to see me come around...

    Mushy: If my memory was half as good as yours (not to mention the archives), I'd have no lack of blog-fodder.

    Pat: "Injured Avs?" Is that damning with faint praise I hear? You sound like most of the hockey pundits I read yesterday. (I've not read anything today. Yet.) To the Avs credit, they didn't make excuses. But then again, the sportswriters did it for 'em.

    Sharon: I figured you were busy beyond belief with your move. I have a few of those tee shirts, too, so I most certainly understand. And I'm glad you agree with my take on the political situation.

    Susan: Nothing's changed, other than adding all that video from NHL.com, which I suspect might be the problem. Everything looks and works well for me, both in IE and Firefox.

    Barry: Thanks, Bud! High praise, considering the source!

    Lou and Dawn: The feelings are mutual, M'Dears!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, rest up, bro', rest up. Recharge the mental battery. We'll be here when you've got something to say.

    (I, for one, like the hockey posts, though, so if that's what you want to talk about, fine by me.)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.